pellet bow?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
update: fashined a prototype yesterday evening from a bamboo shoot(ca. 3ft): i need something better for a bulletpouch then a piece of inner tube (no leather @hand...) and it hurts when you hit your thumb... .BUT it seems to work- so it's time to practise now (straycats beware!) and to make a better bow (i was thinking along the lines of a take-down PVC/fibreglass bow...)!

(sorry but i'm technically too challenged for posting pictures on here... :puppy_dog )

Last edited:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
the chance of hitting the bow or the hand is very high with the bow shown above,personally i wouldnt risk it and i am an experienced user of catapults. i did once own a gadget that fitted to a bow and shot a plunger into a barrel containing a .22 airgun pellet,i think i baught it from a company called 'quicks' in waterlooville in hampshire.

the chance of hitting the bow or the hand is very high with the bow shown above,personally i wouldnt risk it and i am an experienced user of catapults. i did once own a gadget that fitted to a bow and shot a plunger into a barrel containing a .22 airgun pellet,i think i baught it from a company called 'quicks' in waterlooville in hampshire.

indeed.... and a hit on the hand is rather painful.... i guess that's also one reason why they where not used more widespread for hunting...

i was thinking only of using it as an alternative for places where slingshots are illegal (like parts of OZ) but bowhunting is allowed or if i have no rubber for slingshots available.....

seems more of a funproject then a solution for me (so far)--- i guess i'll stick to slingshots and start improving my skills with them!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Back in the sixties, I bought a medieval crossbow reproduction in London. It had very heavy prod which took a lot of cranking with the winch to cock. I made a separate string with pocket for .500 lead round ball bullets. At 100 yards it punched right through 1 inch deal boards, whilst keeping a five inch group. Accuracy was not a problem at all. It was a lot of fun shooting the round balls, and cheap too. Shooting bolts that were seldom found was not fun. Sold the bow a few years back, and now it is legal to hunt with a crossbow here (PNW US of A).
Woody

How were the balls held?

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Just to go back to the original post, I thought you were allowed to control vermin with a bow (but points not broadheads) and on private land, with permission etc very much as you would with an air rifle) and bows can also be used for 'roving', if this isn't the case can someone point me in the right direction.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
All hu ting with a bow of any sort is illegal in this country. It was outlawed in 1965 or there about.

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Things can be a little slower in Devon, but will stick with my air rifle, pellets are cheaper and more plentiful than arrows (though less satisfying). Will do a spot more research methinks.
Those pellet bows do look interesting, so yet another thread to watch.

crumbs there are some funny sites out there, UK Bug out and survivalists, British Bowhunters and early posts on here lol

Looks like I'll air rifle and fish, forage and shop for my outdoor supplies, the bows can stay for roving and target.

Last edited:

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
Things can be a little slower in Devon, but will stick with my air rifle, pellets are cheaper and more plentiful than arrows (though less satisfying). Will do a spot more research methinks.
Those pellet bows do look interesting, so yet another thread to watch.

crumbs there are some funny sites out there, UK Bug out and survivalists, British Bowhunters and early posts on here lol

Looks like I'll air rifle and fish, forage and shop for my outdoor supplies, the bows can stay for roving and target.

Looks like the British bowhunters is defunct , site is up for sale and cannot find another link , UK bugout is youtube vids .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE