Pelican 1010 water resistant case.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Yesterday I went to a section of Middle Creek to test a case I bought to protect my camera from water while out on hikes taking pictures. I spend a lot of time around rivers, creeks, and streams and live in a temperate rain forest so I thought a water-proof case would be a good idea.

The case is a Pelican 1010 Micro Case, here is a link to their page for it.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1010

The case has a wide single latch that secures the case quite well, two stainless steel hinge pins, and a pressure equalization valve for changing elevations and temperatures.

PICT0066.jpg

I probably should have read their page before these tests and saw, in the bright red letters, that this case is not meant for swimming or submerging...but then again I likely wouldn't have performed the test and wouldn't know just how pleased with the case I am.

I took a cell phone (not the one I use) and placed it in the case, tied some braided line to it, and tossed it out into some small rapids in the creek and just left it there bouncing and bobbing for about 45 minutes. Actually at first I gave it too much slack and it went down into a hole between the rocks and got hung there for a few untill I could get out there and push it down and pull it back out.

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

The hole it went in

Stuckinbetweenrocks.jpg

The air and water temps were pretty cold, there was ice on some of the rocks and limbs at the top of the water that were getting splashed.

PICT0044-1.jpg

In these the arrows point at the case which spent most of it time submerged in the rapids

Circled-1.jpg

circled-2.jpg

circled-3.jpg

circled-4.jpg

This is how it looked when I removed it from the water, and you can see a few drops inside

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

But the phone still works just fine

PICT0055.jpg

and after all that time being beaten against a rock and bouncing submerged in rapids, this is all the water that got into a box not made for swimming or submerging. It should protect my stuff from the rain very well, or even if it briefly falls in a creek.

PICT0056.jpg

Now...., to see if they make one that is meant for swimming and submerging.

I've been thinking (uh oh) , It may not have leaked at all if I hadn't repeatedly banged it against a rock for three or four minutes yanking on the string trying to avoid having to go out there and get it free. Lol, do you see the little rocks I had to jump too to get it? Like a dummy I wore my desert boots rather than my rubber ones (I'll remember that next time eh?) and that water was COLD. I really didn't want to the mile back to the truck in 28 degree temps wearing wet boots, but luckily I grew up here and spend a lot of time hopping from rock to rock in the summer, even more lucky the rocks I jumped to were stable. I think had it just fallen in and floated down the current, not been banged so much and held still against an on-rushing current for 3/4 of an hour it wouldn't have leaked as much if any at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE