Peening tang help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've got a laminated blade with a full-length stick tang waiting to be handled, and have been thinking about how to finish the handle end; if I decide to peen the end, would I need to spot anneal the tip of the tang? and what's the best way to hold the knife while using the hammer to do the peening? would there be enough support/pressure to hold it firm by tightening the vice on it? ( with padding to protect the blade?

Any ideas and/or tips gratefully received, or alternative finishing options welcome. Cheers folks, mac.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I always make sure the tangs on blades that I supply are soft, but you might be best off assuming that it has been left hard and just warm the end up a bit. Just take the last inch or so to a dull red and leave to cool and it'll be fine. As for clamping, clamp it as tight as you can in a vice with padding (I use aluminium soft jaws). Saw/file the end of the tang off a couple or 3mm long and gently chamfer the edges (it helps to reduce the sharp burr if the metal mushrooms and rolls over). A small ball peen hammer is the best thing to peen it over with.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks very much for the reply, Dave, good advice from those who know is best sought before the event rather than a "what went wrong" thread, eh?...................atb mac

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
I've got a stick tang blade that needs a handle on it(when I get time!). This has just answered another question that I've been trying to answer myself, thanks for the post and dave for his answer.

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
I tend to use a offcut of oak clamped in the vice with the blade cutting across the grain. I've had too many blades scratch when they move while clamped in the vice (perhaps I'm hitting a bit too hard).

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
All the ones I have done so far have already been soft and easy to peen. You should be able to tell by running a file over then end of the tang. I clamped the blade in the vice with padding but had the tip against a scrap bit of hard wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE