Peasant in the shed

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I got myself a Svord Peasant for HH the other week. This is how it arrived:

9335676715_dae9bfeb2c.jpg

I was a bit disappointed. "Rough" would describe the finish. It was a bit like getting a kit that has been loosely assembled for you. So off to the shed it went!
First I used a bit of an old venetian blind to keep the handle scales parallel.

9335685241_6d31cdb008.jpg

Then for some underwater Dremel surgery to "legalise" the blade.

9338481918_0aeb783444.jpg

The finished blade shape and the splinter removed.

9338556696_6b84e1c1df.jpg

Then a flick of sandpaper to the scales and a bit of attention to the lopsided grind on the diamond block. The result:

9338519748_d1c32013f3.jpg

9335722895_628c57d27e.jpg

Now remember that splinter? I couldn't just throw that in the bin. So I made this:

9338537040_57ecd8ff77.jpg

I'm calling it a micro-chisel. The handle is an offcut of laburnum.

9338546440_fce79de8e3.jpg

I forsee it being used for all kinds of things from woodspirits noses to kohlrosing like this I did with the kids the other day:

9338499976_5d4fdb67a6.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Z

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good job on the Svord, but the little splinter chisel is inspired - I've so often found the small sharp stuff for kohlrossing etc. to be the most challenging and intriguing to make; and the most satisfying to use when you do get 'em right...........atb mac

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
Never even seen anyone using a dremel like that, very good tip (lol). Really like how you used the offcut too, great stuff. {^-<}

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I find my Dremel is a good little tool. I think a lot of people try to use them for jobs that are too big for them. Then they are disappointed.
It is like having a little knife; it's OK so long as you have something bigger when you need it.

Z

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like that a lot. As said the use for the splinter is inspired :)

I third that or is it fourth?

Anyway great refurb job on the Svord. I bought 2 last week, they were posted on Monday and arrived at my Mothers the very next day. The emails I got from the staff at HH was very chatty too. Made me actually feel like there was a person on the other end of the email rather than a machine with flashing lights and a robotic "Exterminate!" voice.

I'm hoping to Svords I ordered aren't too shabby, but a finishing off project is always a good thing to make a knife even more so your own.

Very nice work there Zingmo, thanks for showing us the workmanship.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Thanks fellas!
I think Svord deliberately leave the finish a bit agricultural to fit the "peasant" theme. But it is a good bit of steel for the price.
Aaron, I am now looking forward to seeing what one of these will become after spending time in your hands!

Z

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Really nice mods those. You'd think policemen have more important stuff to do than tape measuring pocket knives.
Like the shape it has now though. Looks like a clip point.:)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks fellas!

Aaron, I am now looking forward to seeing what one of these will become after spending time in your hands!

Z

You mean like this? heheheheheheheh

Having done that the knife it got used a few times but like any phase not as often as it could have, so it lived in a drawer for a year or so. It finally got included as part of a trade with Tat2trev for his Gurkha knife. However having had my customised Svord in my hands I had some minor pangs of regret, nothing major Trev' and certainly no regrets that it's going to you mate. So I bought another one to tuck away for a rainy winters evening project to see what else I could make with one.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham

Having done that the knife it got used a few times but like any phase not as often as it could have, so it lived in a drawer for a year or so. It finally got included as part of a trade with Tat2trev for his Gurkha knife. However having had my customised Svord in my hands I had some minor pangs of regret, nothing major Trev' and certainly no regrets that it's going to you mate. So I bought another one to tuck away for a rainy winters evening project to see what else I could make with one.

It's all mine mine mine mine my little precious ,filthy little hobbits'is.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs

Aha! I have seen that before (I must have been speed browsing without my brain switched on). Very nice work, although as far as the shape is concerned, I prefer Ms Carter's!

Z

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
EDC carver is what I got it for. A Uk legal blade for keeping in the bimble bag or pocket just in case a whittling opportunity arose which called for something more than a SAK. To be honest I haven't had that opportunity yet so I haven't really given it a work out.
The friction is adjustable but that is more about the blade not opening in your pocket than not closing when you are using it. Your hand closes around the tang, preventing it actually closing but you do get a wobble if you put pressure on the wrong side of the blade (the first time i stropped it was fun!). You wouldn't want to be boring holes in anything with the tip, especially not if you drop the point of the blade as I have.
The grind as it came was lopsided and rough so expect to have to sort it out. It's a rough flat grind with quite big secondary bevel. I am keeping the secondary flat at the moment to see how it goes.
On the plus side, it is a one handed opener and the only folder I have owned which I can open with gloves on.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE