Peak District Trip (PIC HEAVY!)

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
What was planned as a group trip ended up just me going solo - weekend round Ladybower/Derwent Reservoirs and the Howden Moors. My first time out for a long, long time but thoroughly enjoyed it :D Will post up some Memory Map images to show the route taken tomorrow.

View from Hope train station, looking north - I was heading round the eastern edge (left) of this hill (don't have the map on me, but can provide names and grid references if required :D )
DSCF1197.jpg

First view of the southern edge of Ladybower Reservoir
DSCF1199.jpg

View south from the dam itself...
DSCF1205.jpg

...and north
DSCF1206.jpg

Plugholes not in operation
DSCF1207.jpg

Heading through the plantation that borders Ladybower
DSCF1209.jpg

Yet to identify these
DSCF1210.jpg

That hill in the first photo? This is the view from the other side, still looking north. Ladybower itself is covered by the trees, Big & Little Crook hills in the centre
DSCF1215.jpg

Setting up camp in the same plantation - it's only about 4pm, but wanted to be setup before dark as at this point all kit was untested :)
DSCF1218.jpg

Without flash
DSCF1219.jpg

Setting out 2nd day, coming out of the plantation...
DSCF1224.jpg

...back onto Ladybower
DSCF1225.jpg

River Ashop that runs into Ladybower
DSCF1226.jpg

Angry/hungry duck at the rest stop between Ladybower and Derwent Reservoirs
DSCF1228.jpg

Base of Derwent Reservoirs' dam, southside
DSCF1229.jpg

Derwent, looking north
DSCF1230.jpg

From Derwent I went east, up onto the Howden Moors - looking back south-east to Derwent
DSCF1231.jpg

Looking back west you can see the Big & Little Crook hills to the left of centre, with the hill I pretty much camped on to the right on centre
DSCF1232.jpg

On the moors, looking south you can see the Ladybower bridge at Ashopton
DSCF1233.jpg

Looking east on the moors towards Lost Lad
DSCF1234.jpg

Looking west towards Ladybower valley
DSCF1235.jpg

On top of Lost Lad :D
DSCF1237.jpg

West towards Ladybower
DSCF1239.jpg

Wheel Stones on the Derwent Edge
DSCF1240.jpg

That's it really - had pub lunch :D then came the decision, spend another lonely night outside then walk 3 miles to Bamford trainstation, or walk the 3 miles in one hour with full load right then to catch last train home to comfy bed and warm embrace. The latter won out and I came home!

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
It was indeed - I'm thinking somewhere between 12-16 miles over the course of the 2 days, but I'll know for sure tonight. Needed to give in to my recent 'Wanderlust', but once springs in full force I'll be out again and spend a little more time in examining my surroundings!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff fella, had a few stealth nights out round there myself. Did you bother with a fire at all ?

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Great stuff fella, had a few stealth nights out round there myself. Did you bother with a fire at all ?

I did aye for comfort and warmth - deadwood from the pine plantations - still need to work on firesteel/tinder technique, but zippo and brought-along birch bark work wonders!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
gutted i missed this one m8. i reckon we should head out there again next month and you can show me the route you took!

Dirk Diggler

Jan 19, 2009
Stockport
Looks like a great trip, if any of you organised another in the peaks i would love to tag along for a night or more, i'm not far away from the Peak District, thats if you didnt mind a beginner coming along.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Love it round there, first time I went derwent Dam was in full flood running all down the side of it just like in the guide books. I like the walk up to Derwent edge too from near Howden.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
When I was about 18 me and some mates scrambled down the wall to the plug hole to have a look. It's got steps inside each step gets a bigger vertical step and smaller horizontal until it disappears off into a deep black nothingness. Being 18 and male we had to see who would go down to the furthest step, thankfully we bottled it before anyone slipped but the thought still gives me the creeps.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
Great stuff thanks for the photos, I get the transpennine train through the peak district everyday to work i wish i got the stopping service , but I think I would be tempted to get off and go walking. I love seeing the beautiful views every morning and evening but it just kills me sometimes! Better than driving in busy traffic though. Would love to join you on a bimble sometime.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... weekend round Ladybower/Derwent Reservoirs and the Howden Moors....

...That's it really - had pub lunch :D

Some good pics :D . We were a bit south of you on the Sunday - Derwent Moors. We stopped for refreshments in The Ladybower Inn (If I recall the name correctly - it's the pub at the base of Ladybower Wood).

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Aye, The Ladybower Inn it was too - almost stayed an extra night in that wood! :D

Some good pics :D . We were a bit south of you on the Sunday - Derwent Moors. We stopped for refreshments in The Ladybower Inn (If I recall the name correctly - it's the pub at the base of Ladybower Wood).

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A popular place and well placed for those going up or coming down :lmao: .

On the Saturday we drove up Snake Road (Snake Pass) and some of the views were breath taking. Unfortunately the scenes didn't correspond with stopping poins :( . Somewhere near Alport Bridge there were people camping by the water side. It looked like a 'bushcraft' camp but we couldn't stop to ask :eek: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE