PCLE Bergen its a back pack in Canada eh...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
I picked up this PCLE in DPM pattern this is the short version. Got it at my favourite surplus store Varusteleka Its 90 litres plus 20 more in the side compartments.

Ok what does PCLE stand for?

It still has a surplus smell to get rid of but I can't wait to get it out for an over nightery. Then its going to be truck pack. Going to try and get it more aired out. My video is a decent overview of the pack.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Bombproof but not the most comfortable. By size I fit a short back bergen but using a long back is more comfortable. You could make the waist belt more comfortable if you intend to carry it any distance by getting a 'Hippo pad' and fitting it to the waist belt, there's loads on eBay. It'll probably outlast you.

Reactions: Dontkillbill

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
Bombproof but not the most comfortable. By size I fit a short back bergen but using a long back is more comfortable. You could make the waist belt more comfortable if you intend to carry it any distance by getting a 'Hippo pad' and fitting it to the waist belt, there's loads on eBay. It'll probably outlast you.
Thanks for the tip!

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
The design of it is so it sits on your webbing when you're wearing marching order which is how it transfers the weight to your hips. I invariably had the waist strap buckled together underneath the bergan because it sits so high (also one more thing to undo under contact).
There should be a yoke clipped into one of the rocket pouches that you can remove and use as a daysack.

If you come across any other TLAs let us know, It's a whole other language we talk in.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
There are many yokes in this world, the yoke of human kindness, the yoke of tyranny, and egg yokes, today we'll be looking at PLCE yokes...

Well, tortured introduction over, basically the PLCE yoke is a fancy way of getting quick release buckles strapped to your back.

The first thing to look at is the rocket pouch itself.
20200425_074515.jpg
The top if it has both male and female clips on, this it to allow you to connect the top to both the bergan or the yoke
The bottom has 2 wider set female clips to connect the arm straps of the yoke and a loop. (The loop is designed to clip around your webbing belt to prevent the rocket pouch sliding up your back when you hit the deck and smashing your face against the iron sights)
There are zips either side of the pouch to allow you to zip it onto the side of your bergan, or patrol pack.

On the flip side of this we have:
20200425_074440.jpg
The flip side. On here there are four main loops, these are mainly used to catch on brambles as you go though wood blockes, alternatively they can be used to keep your yoke belt out of the way.
Just above the zip there are 2 loops, these are used for when you zip breaks to bungee the lid of your pouch closed.

Now on to the yoke:
20200425_080516.jpg
The yoke itself is pretty simple, there are 2 male clips on the bottom which are never used. (Some distant PAM says they are for clipping onto your utility pouches on your webbing). There is the belt which has been specifically designed to slice the stomach of anyone foolish enough to put it on. At the split of the yoke you have 2 sets of male clips, the ones pointing down are used to clip into your rocket pouch as are the others if you have enough slack in the pouch (you will never have enough slack in the pouch)
At the end or the arm straps there are adjustable clips, these are used to clip between the arm straps and the bottom of the rocket pouch, invariably you will get these upside down the first time you assemble your kit.

Fitting the yoke (Single pouch)
20200425_074504.jpg

Dead simple this one:
Male clips on the shoulders of the yoke do through the little loop and into the top female clips on the pouch.
Male clips on the end of your adjustable strap go into the female clips on the bottom of the pouch.
Belt flaps in the breeze until you get annoyed with it and tape it up.

This is the standard arrangement as it allow you to zip it onto your bergan and off you trot,

The second arrangement:
20200425_074245.jpg

2 rocket pouches together:
First start by zipping two pouches together.
Now do the same as you did before but with the 2 middle female clips on the pouches onto the yoke.
The adjustable arm straps clip into the outside female clips of the pouch, this make it a tad more stable.
The belt is then fed through the lower loops and round the back, clip the belt together to hold the pouches stable, if they split it just gets awkward as the shift about. This will get a little fiddly as the belt is inside out.
20200425_074232.jpg

And that's pretty much it for the pouches. You can used the PLCE system to your advantage with the bergan, a configuration I've often seen is:
Right hand rocket pouch with basha and shovel in for shelter (If the enemy have mortars, keep the shovel on you)
Left hand PLCE point has a camleback clipped in and the roll mat strapped to the side. (Issue camlebacks have the clips and some have the zips)
The left hand rocket pouch then has the yoke attached and your day kit in there, this is then stuffed under the bergan lid ready to be thrown on swiftly.

Hopefully this all makes sense, if you have any questions just fire them over.

Last edited:

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
There are many yokes in this world, the yoke of human kindness, the yoke of tyranny, and egg yokes, today we'll be looking at PLCE yokes...

Well, tortured introduction over, basically the PLCE yoke is a fancy way of getting quick release buckles strapped to your back.

The first thing to look at is the rocket pouch itself.
View attachment 58402
The top if it has both male and female clips on, this it to allow you to connect the top to both the bergan or the yoke
The bottom has 2 wider set female clips to connect the arm straps of the yoke and a loop. (The loop is designed to clip around your webbing belt to prevent the rocket pouch sliding up your back when you hit the deck and smashing your face against the iron sights)
There are zips either side of the pouch to allow you to zip it onto the side of your bergan, or patrol pack.

On the flip side of this we have:
View attachment 58403
The flip side. On here there are four main loops, these are mainly used to catch on brambles as you go though wood blockes, alternatively they can be used to keep your yoke belt out of the way.
Just above the zip there are 2 loops, these are used for when you zip breaks to bungee the lid of your pouch closed.

Now on to the yoke:
View attachment 58404
The yoke itself is pretty simple, there are 2 male clips on the bottom which are never used. (Some distant PAM says they are for clipping onto your utility pouches on your webbing). There is the belt which has been specifically designed to slice the stomach of anyone foolish enough to put it on. At the split of the yoke you have 2 sets of male clips, the ones pointing down are used to clip into your rocket pouch as are the others if you have enough slack in the pouch (you will never have enough slack in the pouch)
At the end or the arm straps there are adjustable clips, these are used to clip between the arm straps and the bottom of the rocket pouch, invariably you will get these upside down the first time you assemble your kit.

Fitting the yoke (Single pouch)
View attachment 58405

Dead simple this one:
Male clips on the shoulders of the yoke do through the little loop and into the top female clips on the pouch.
Male clips on the end of your adjustable strap go into the female clips on the bottom of the pouch.
Belt flaps in the breeze until you get annoyed with it and tape it up.

This is the standard arrangement as it allow you to zip it onto your bergan and off you trot,

The second arrangement:
View attachment 58406

2 rocket pouches together:
First start by zipping two pouches together.
Now do the same as you did before but with the 2 middle female clips on the pouches onto the yoke.
The adjustable arm straps clip into the outside female clips of the pouch, this make it a tad more stable.
The belt is then fed through the lower loops and round the back, clip the belt together to hold the pouches stable, if they split it just gets awkward as the shift about. This will get a little fiddly as the belt is inside out.
View attachment 58407

And that's pretty much it for the pouches. You can used the PLCE system to your advantage with the bergan, a configuration I've often seen is:
Right hand rocket pouch with basha and shovel in for shelter (If the enemy have mortars, keep the shovel on you)
Left hand PLCE point has a camleback clipped in and the roll mat strapped to the side. (Issue camlebacks have the clips and some have the zips)
The left hand rocket pouch then has the yoke attached and your day kit in there, this is then stuffed under the bergan lid ready to be thrown on swiftly.

Hopefully this all makes sense, if you have any questions just fire them over.

cheers for taking the time to show how they slot together, I am sure that people who need it will really appreciate it. I like the story about 'in peacetime you couldn't get them to dig in, in wartime you couldn't stop them digging in' .....
I never really used a camelback with PLCE but have zipped a few side pouches together to get more capacity for NBC etc. 'King hate carrying NBC let alone wearing it. !!!!!

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
Took the pack out for a short test. Comfortable and an axe packs nicely between the side pocket and main body of the pack. In the heat I would image that ones back would get sweaty but all in especially for the price worth it! I have a yoke lined up but still wondering if I should bother?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
If you can find them I preferred the ARKTIS rucksack side pouches. The opening was different with a lid and drawstring closure. The zips all worked and it could be made into a daypack as shown above.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE