pc tablet with wifi and 3G info needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i am after a pc tablet for net browsing but i would like to have wifi and 3G (i know i will have to get a sim for this) what i would like to know if any one knows of any for less than £200 or there abouts?

screen size isent that important between 7inch and 10 inch , i also use a kindle to read my ebooks from amozon do these work on tablet pcs?

many thanks

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Just bought one of the kids a galaxy tab2 7 inch from currys. £199. Its wifi only, however, if you have an iPhone or an android phone, you can enable Wi-Fi tether.
This turns your phone into a wireless router. As long as you've got your phone with you, the tab can connect wirelessly to it, giving you internet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Kindle is available on Android tablets and phones via the play store. I wouldn't recommend the cheap ones from maplin as they don't have full access to to play store (android app store)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
i am after a pc tablet for net browsing but i would like to have wifi and 3G (i know i will have to get a sim for this) what i would like to know if any one knows of any for less than £200 or there abouts?

screen size isent that important between 7inch and 10 inch , i also use a kindle to read my ebooks from amozon do these work on tablet pcs?

many thanks

If you can wait till October and don't mind the gamble that it is simply a rumor and nothing more, then Apple are rumoured to be testing prototypes of a 7 inch ipad that'll sell for £150- ish.

Yes you can read your kindle books on an iPad.

:)

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
If you can wait till October and don't mind the gamble that it is simply a rumor and nothing more, then Apple are rumoured to be testing prototypes of a 7 inch ipad that'll sell for £150- ish.

This has been rumoured for a couple of years now. We have ipads and android tablets. IMHO the androids are by far better.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Be careful with tethering your existing phone to your tablet. As i understand it only the 3 network allow this as standard with unlimited data. Luckily im on 3 and use my phone to tether to my galaxy tab. Its really fast most of the time. For the best of both worlds have a look at the ASUS transformer (over budget)

Carphone warehouse and other suppliers do a pay monthly option for tablets as well as phones so that might be an option too

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Be careful with tethering your existing phone to your tablet. As i understand it only the 3 network allow this as standard with unlimited data. Luckily im on 3 and use my phone to tether to my galaxy tab. Its really fast most of the time. For the best of both worlds have a look at the ASUS transformer (over budget)

Carphone warehouse and other suppliers do a pay monthly option for tablets as well as phones so that might be an option too

I tether or 'wifi hotspot' regularly mate, and have incurred no charges. That's on vodafone with 750mb data

But its a good point, you may get charged for tethering on some networks.

The Asus transformer is the dogs danglies.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK

Transformer is brilliant. Way above the iPad. SHMBO has my old iPad so having both I know. Google are bringing out the Nexus tablet soon and that may be worth waiting for.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
np. I am on holiday atm sending this from my transformer via s 3 mifi. So you dont need 3g on the tablet. In fact this way worked out cheaper than a 3g equipped one.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Maybe, but then your stuck with Apple.

I've been playing with Windows 8 release preview and am well impressed so I've promissed myself a W8 ARM Tablet when launched later this year but they will be well over £200. That said there will be X86 versions which will be cheaper, it may well be best to save some coins until they come along Q4 this year hopefully.

To keep you going, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-7-INC...t=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item35bb88bda2 don't laugh they aint bad at all for what they are and will keep you going until you get a netbook or increase funds.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Maybe, but then your stuck with Apple..."

The being stuck thing isn't so much of an issue (for me) I'd use a tablet/iPad to look at web pages and read free ebooks, nothing else really. I will be able to run Chrome on Windows 8 which (at this time) I cannot on an iPad, that is a deal breaker for me. I also note that all Apple's applications have suddenly (overnight) become very Facebook friendly, I don't like that at all. :)

None of the Android machines I have had a play with worked as well as the Apple one, but that was a year ago, maybe I should have another look.

Finally I must admit I'd prefer something I can take apart, not so easy with an iPad.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not much you can take apart thats why I still prefer a PC, I can mess about with that; I've a Sony Vaio only a few months old, lovely bit of kit i7 based, and only use that when away from home:confused: I've managed to convince myself I'll use a new W8 tablet more lol

The W8 'Surface' looks good, I like the case cover which can double as a keyboard.

http://techlogon.com/2012/06/20/microsoft-reveal-surface-tablet-running-windows-8/

This will be my new toy this year :present: Looks like top end will come in at less than a grand cheaper still if you buy the base models.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I just cant find a place for a pad/tablet inbetween a laptop, PC and phone. The screen on phones now adays is huge and clear yet still pocket size.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Been running a 3G and wifi IPad for a year. In retrospect 3G was a waste of money. Wifi is everywhere - any coffee shop/hotel/pub/office/airport has it available for guests often for free pretty much worldwide. 3G is slow and expensive. If desperate go the tether route as described.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You will need the Amazon Kindle for iPad app to read your Kindle ebooks on the iPad, download it from here.

For ebooks that are not tied to a particular store or supplier this page from Project Gutenburg offers some helpful tips for getting reading material into your iPad.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I just cant find a place for a pad/tablet inbetween a laptop, PC and phone. The screen on phones now adays is huge and clear yet still pocket size.

The new Windows 8 tablets are only a few months away and will be worth looking at, super display and no offence, performance will blow the socks off iPads.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE