pc advice needed help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I put an wanted add earlier for a pc monitor as the text was appearing fuzzy and playing havoc on the old eyes anywy its maybe not just the monitor i need i dont know i went to use the pc earlier and the full screen was flickering black and white horizontal stripes and now that has stopped its just a sort of mottled grey screen any advice welcome

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Is the VGA/DVI cable (the cable that goes from the monitor to the base unit/computer) molded to the monitor or removable? If it is removable, try replacing that cable and see if that sorts your issue, it could be a dodgy wire/pin in the VGA cable.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
It is the cable going into the back of your monitor that leads to your PC. If it is a VGA cable it will be boxed shaped at either end, with little finger tightening plastic screws for attaching it firmly to the monitor/PC. Check and see if this cable is loose.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Quickest way is to swap stuff out, monitor first.
You may also have a second onboard video card dependant on the PC. Look for another connector the same as the one you currently plug your monitor into, if so power off plug it in that one and try again. If you get a screen up regardless of the resolution etc its more than likely a V/C problem.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thanks for the advice everybody i have it now it was the cable ,i still need to get myself a new monitor .

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
onboard video card dependant on the PC. Look for another connector the same as the one you currently plug your monitor into, if so power off plug it in that one and try again.

I am aware gill has already resolved it but I should point out that sometimes OEM's disable the onboard VGA in the BIOS when they ship with a dedicated card so it's not always possible. The Aldi and older Dell's where a pain for this I kept a few older Generic cards knocking around just because of this.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE