Paypal Fees Calculator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
May be worthwhile pointing out that it is illegal to charge extra if a buyer is paying via Paypal, or Credit Card, here is a copy of the legislation, so in reality the fees would be included in the total price, a problem would arise if two prices were given lets say a lower price if paying by Bank Transfer, as it would be deemed that an infringement may have occurred, as someone without a bank account would be worse off.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
bank transfer just gives you a discount ;)
I think that was the whole point of the legislation, to make it a level playing field whatever way you paid, and remember paying by Credit Card, Paypal.....is a bank transfer.
Also remember if you went into a bank about 10-15 years ago and arranged a Bank transfer, they would have charged you at least £10, and it was legislation that stopped banks doing that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is there any other method that gives the same kind of insurance as paying by Paypal ?

I know that a credit card payment offers some, but I don't know if it does if you use it for a bank transfer.

Also, is the insurance offered by the Post Office or couriers the same or does it add on extra fees ? I know my local post office, admittedly draconian :roll: refuses to take knives or axes....look at the second last item on this list from the PO.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Seems rather poorly put together legislation. Sellers have an expense if buyers use credit (some debit) and PP, the 2013 law said they could pass this on the customer. The shoddy bit being that the price advertised usually didn't include the charge, which would be added only at check-out, a nasty surprise. In 2018 the law is changed so sellers cannot pass on these fees, so sellers are just meant to swallow an extra expense. Really? Maybe hard to do otherwise on some goods, but on second hand and hand crafted items there is no arbiter on the base price and no one is going to advertise something they want £20 for, for £20 when they could lose £0.88 to PP any more than they would offer it for £20 when they could have to spend £2 on postage and a jiffy bag.

So, we want a nice clear price. One number that everyone pays. No hidden or variable fees, no different postage prices. All very fair...but

If a price includes P&P, and the recipient collects in person, it seems a nice and reasonable thing for a seller to refund the cost of postage, rather than cheerfully take it as extra profit. Telling prospective customer that this is the case is not discrimination against people who are not local, or who cannot drive. At the cost of time and fuel collection in person may not be cheaper really, but it also saves the seller time and effort.

I know that the law says that a seller cannot ask for more from someone buying with PP than with cash, and that this is the same as saying that they cannot say they will sell for less via BT or for cash. However this does seem to deny people the chance to express honesty and generosity to their fellow by offering a lower price when expenses have not been incurred.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
May be worthwhile pointing out that it is illegal to charge extra if a buyer is paying via Paypal, or Credit Card, here is a copy of the legislation, so in reality the fees would be included in the total price, a problem would arise if two prices were given lets say a lower price if paying by Bank Transfer, as it would be deemed that an infringement may have occurred, as someone without a bank account would be worse off.

That is not what those regulations state. It is still permissible for the seller to pass on the cost of the use of the payment method but not for them to charge any more than that.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
That is not what those regulations state. It is still permissible for the seller to pass on the cost of the use of the payment method but not for them to charge any more than that.

Exactly...and what Dave B says is also correct. For example, car dealerships have, and still do, make offers on the price depending on your chosen method of purchase. It is the consumers choice whether they agree to purchase on those terms or walk away and go somewhere else. The legislation refers to HIDDEN surcharges that are sprung on the customer after a sale is agreed. If you are upfront about the total price and what it includes using a particular payment method you are not in breach of the legislation. As we so often hear in promotional adverts by commercial sellers - 'our costs have reduced and we are passing that onto the customer'. If it is physically costing you less to accept cash, BT, etc., you can give a discount to the buyer. The seller is not profiteering as they do not get the fees - their money received is fixed (as long as they don't overcharge to cover fees ;))

Is this any different to using the cashpoint that charges to withdraw £10 (and says so) or the one 100 yards away where you can withdraw £10 for free. As long as there is a clear statement of what is being charged, the customer can make an informed decision about a purchase.

What sticks in the craw (and still occurs on many forums and in private sales) is a posted price on the sales thread followed by the little surprise in the pm that says 'please pay by BT otherwise you will need to pay me more to cover my paypal fees'. I will often walk away from those sales and the seller has lost their buyer...possibly for any future sales as well.

...and as for the statement 'net to me', that really drives me wild - I'm the buyer, why should I be responsible for the calculations and the wrath of a seller if I get it wrong? That is just a lazy seller!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: Now that Tony has kindly provided the link to calculate fees, sellers can easily work out what to charge to include everything.

Just be honest and open and post a total price and what it includes and we are all happy :);):);)

K

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The legislation does not state that you cannot charge fees, etc, what it does state is that you cannot discriminate against people who pay by credit card or Paypal, it's obvious that fees etc would be included in a final price, it just means you cannot add extra charges on because of the method of payment, to give an example, Justeat used to charge an extra 50p if you paid by credit card, this was then made illegal by the legislation, they then added a 50p service charge to all orders irrespective of how you paid, this was quite legal as it did not discriminate.
I sell quite often to the USA and when I work out a price, it includes, EBay fees,PayPal fees, Exchange rate charges, and Postage fees, irrespective of how a punter pays.

Reactions: Winnet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE