paypal advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i have someone that wants to buy my bike and pay me through paypal.......is this safe ?

can he cancell the payment at a later date after he has collected the bike ?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I would only really use PP for small transactions between forums ect or payments to company's.

PP can withdraw (refund) the buyer before the goods have been returned. I don't see why cash on collection is a problem with them.

Hth, al.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Can he not do a direct bank transfer?

I wont go through paypal for large amounts as there is the risk he could cancel payment.

Ask for a cheque perhaps? if he cant do direct transfer. :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As above buddy... If he has PP, then he probably has internet banking so can do a simple transfer.

Worst case, he just has to pop into a bank.

wolfpup

May 10, 2012
Lancashire
I would not accept a cheque - you do not know there are funds to cover the amount etc.

I have used PayPal for 9 years (2 ebay selling accounts) and never had a problem with PayPal. Yes he COULD complain about the bike after picking it up BUT - he would certainly have a good look at it before taking it with him - so you would have a strong case against this if it occurred.

If you are not happy with PP then ask for cash on collection or direct Bank Transfer (but personally I am against giving out my bank details to anyone - hence using PayPal even with their fees). If you know there is nothing wrong with the bike why should anyone complain about it?

garethw

Settler
Hi there
You should have no problem with Paypal.. I use it all the time with my business & for personal purchases.
He has to add monies to his own account before he can offer payment. If he hasn't sufficient funds it will credit them to his credit card that is linked to the account. On the occasions when I have bought stuff & my paypal account has limited funds, it will simply deduct the difference between my paypal account balance and the product price from my credit card...
Once you get the email saying he wants to send you funds, you then download... once they are on your account you have the money and can transfer it to your own account if you wish. it takes a couple of days.. I've usually hold of issuing a receipt until the monies show up on my bank account (as I say 2-3 days), but in a couple of years have never had one single problem.

I've done dozens of transactions both to purchase stuff and to take payment for fishing at my lakes... it has be 100% ok!!

cheers
Gareth

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
He probably just wants to use Paypal because he can pay using his credit card. Obviously you can't accept CC payments any other way. Sounds perfectly legit to me and Paypal protects you as well as him as long as the transaction is documented. Get him to sign a receipt upon pick up.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
If he pays Wednesday, withdraw straight to the bank (takes 2-3 days) so will be in the account for Saturday? Cannot be taken from you're bank account without permission

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Paypal is pretty safe, with a lot of buyer/seller protection, so it should be fine. However, if it's a large amount of money, you will get charged a fair amount in paypal fees. The only way around this is to ask the buyer to send the funds as a gift (but that would take away all their buyer protection so they probably wouldn't want to), or to ask them to cover the fees.

Otherwise you could do as others have suggested and take a deposit over paypal but ask for the rest in cash.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Has the guy even seen the bike yet? If not I'm afraid I think you are being set up by a scammer. This is tried a great deal on car sales - just google "car purchase paypal scams" and you will get a LOT of hits. Even when papypal is used the guy can claim charge back through his credit card provider saying that the charge was not authorised by him and you lose both money and bike. Cash on collect or banker's draft is safest.

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
I'ts worth noting that you have bog all protection if the item is collected.

.11.2 PayPal seller protection is available to:
  1. Payment Recipients with registered PayPal Account(s) in the UK, Ireland and/or Sweden who receive PayPal payments from buyers making an eligible purchase via eBay (worldwide and everywhere PayPal is accepted); and
  2. Payment Recipients with registered PayPal Account(s) in the UK only: who receive PayPal payments from buyers making eligible purchases outside of eBay.
PayPal seller protection does not apply to Claims, Chargebacks and/or Reversals for the reason that the purchase was Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) nor for items that you deliver or are picked up in person.

Go for the cash option, you know it makes sense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE