Pay it Back.........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I wasn't going to say anything in public, but British Red asked me to do so...so here are some extracts from a PM conversation I had with him last night.

British Red said:
Thanks for sharing that Geoff - it doesn't seem like showing off to me. In fact I'd be very grateful if you could share it on the thread. This isn't in any way to "big you up" but it is important that we share our feelings about not only the appalling way these guys were treated, but also how proud and grateful we feel towards our service men and women - wounded or not. To me a lot of this is about us showing we do care and that we are grateful. In many ways I suspect this is more important than the money

dgcalvert said:
I have waited to make a donation until this evening. My band has played two gigs recently (the last one last night) and I wanted to donate my share of the fees. I had also promised to donate the new cost of the Trees and Shrubs book that I was given by andy_e and I have also decided to make a donation instead of buying Christmas cards for people at work.

But what really wobbled my emotions was when I told my wife and daughter that I wanted to donate my fees, my 20 year old daughter (who is currently saving hard to try and save some money to help her through university) logged onto her account and sent me some money to add to my donation. When I asked her how much she had sent she told me. £50. Who says that the younger generation do not care? I'm immensely proud of her.

I didn't want to go for the auctions, because I don't like uncertainty - besides, if I lost the auction then the charity wouldn't get my money.

Geoff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Geoff - to me people like you and your daughter doing things like this goes a long way to demonstrate the feeling of "the silent majority" about or service personnel.

Good on you both

Red

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i am no fan of war, and have no interest in "war heroes", but the discrimination against disabled people, regardless of how they became disabled is not on.
just so i don't cause offense, i want to make it clear that, i have no interest in the "politics of war", etc. but i do have an interest in the human cost. the soldiers and civilians on both sides, politics regardless. i know enough soldiers to know that their opinions on politics don't make much of a difference of how they come out the other side of the war machine. and anything that can be done to help disabled people is a good thing.

i cant help wondering though, would anyone care if a non-vet disabled person would get such support from people? my mother has MS, and the amount of disrespect shown to her by both people at large, and the social systems that are supposed to be there to help her and others like her is terrible.

nice one red, bringing these issues to the attention of the board. although i probably am in the minority in feeling this, i do wish the emphasis were on the fact that disabled people were in need of support, rather than the political connotations associated with the military aspect. i hope this is understood to be in view of the politics involved, not the people involved.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
BTW - when I made my donation via JustGiving, I did it anonymously, but in the comments field I made it clear that I was a member of 'Bushcraft UK'. Can't do us any harm if BCUK is identified with a number of donations.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE