Pattern to make a rucksack cover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Hi all,
I've been trying to find a pattern to use to make a rucksack cover - I'm sure it's straightforward so I'll make it up as I go along if I can't find one, but I'd prefer a tried-and-tested pattern if possible. Does anyone happen to have a pattern, or know where I could find a pattern?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Hi all,
I've been trying to find a pattern to use to make a rucksack cover - I'm sure it's straightforward so I'll make it up as I go along if I can't find one, but I'd prefer a tried-and-tested pattern if possible. Does anyone happen to have a pattern, or know where I could find a pattern?
i made one once it was just a big oval shape with a pull cord around the edge.

I dont know of a pattern as such but I have a rucksack with an attached one in a pocket, it is basically an oblong shape with elastic around the seam to allow a flexible snug fit.
If you are making one why not make the cover dual purpose by putting fixing loops/tabs on it to convert it into a gear hammock when its not on your pack?:D
I was looking at a site with this kind of thing the other day.
If you have no clue what i'm refering to I'll try to find the site again.

Vague or what?:D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Pointnorth do a rucksack pattern for 5 quids:here

You'll need to do a search for patterns as it won't go straight to the patterns :confused:

Drat, just realised its a cover pattern you wanted, not a rucksack pattern.....twit....:eek:

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
This is a real bodge...and you've just hit the right time of year ; )
Look out for a discarded golf umbrella in the street or in the park, it's always the spokes thats broke. Remove the material by cutting the stitching, pass a draw string through the outside edge hem. Sew up or cover the hole at the centre, could be a good place for a members badge. Bob is your mothers sister, a cover for nothing and very little skill needed.
jon

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've got a couple of covers hanging around if you want one. I don't get on with them, much prefer to waterproof everything inside the sac. I can do without carrying a parachute brake around with me.

Both covers are silver Berghaus items. The look to be identical, one is from a Freeflow II 35+8, the other from a Freeflow 25. If you'd like, let me know.

Genius idea from StJon! Free is good and there are so many dumped umbrellas about :rant:

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Thanks for all the ideas guys, sorry I should have explained a bit. I already have the material I want to make the cover from, and it isn't and doesn't need to be waterproof - it's a one-off special for someone. (I'm not saying any more than that because I know they read the forums!) It's a 10l bag (yes 10, it's very small).
I think the umbrella idea is great though, and if I happen to see an abandoned brolly soon I think I'll do an extra cover from the brolly as well! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE