Pattern for a mini Baker / fireside tent anyone?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having lucked out and come home with a roll of ex army tent canvas 31+ foot by 80 inches for £7 and already having no end of brass grommets and a bag of wooden toggles picked up on spec' I think I have enough material to make a one or two man fireside tent.

Can anyone direct me to any books or websites that have plans and instructions on making a fire side tent?

i've some experience of sewing heavy canvas and a good stock of heavy linen thread.

cheers!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yes, excellent, thanks!

That ones a bit on the large size, the base is 7 foot deep. Very useful to see that the main piece of canvas you need is 24 foot long. Not a problem if our contact can get another roll for us.

Unless more plans are out there I may have to modify it . What would be ideal would be 4 foot deep and just high enough for a six foot bloke to kneel fully upright towards the front opening.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yeah, most are way bigger than I want so it looks like I will be designing my own, cribbing all the bits I like from various designs.

The one critical aspect is the pitch of the roof section. The lower the pitch the more head room but the less well it will shed the rain.

i'll have a poke about to see if there's a accepted best practice.

Since, gawd help me, I'll be hand sewing it the fewer long seams the better.

Looking for for ideas I actually stumbled on when I first thought about making a variation on a Baker here on the forum but was thwarted by lack of materials.

cheers!

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE