Pattern 37 haversack mods.

James.R

May 6, 2009
Wiltshire
I've been after a decent canvas haversack for quite a while and after looking around and not being able to find something within my price range that was suitable, I decided to make my own.

I started with a standard british army pattern 37 haversack.

a2a3u3uz.jpg

uresyzy5.jpg

I removed the buckles from the back and hand stitched them to the sides.

The shoulder strap that came with the haversack wasn't long enough to wear the bag properly so I made a strap out of leather. I also removed the fastening straps and replaced them with leather too.

I'm yet to wear it out but I'm pleased with the end result!

e6uzu6at.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James.R

May 6, 2009
Wiltshire
Found a bit 54 inches long and three inches wide on eBay. I left the strap three inches wide where it sits on the shoulder and trimmed the rest down to one inch to fit through the buckles. The off cuts were used for the front straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I too have a 37 pack modded into a haversack style. I use it for day trips when my ww2 gas mask bag is too small for what I want to carry.
Is yours the small or large 37 pack? Looks smart with the leather:cool:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Is yours the small or large 37 pack? Looks smart with the leather:cool:.."

I think that is the large pack, the 'small' pack is shorter. It also has internal dividers that help stop a 58 pattern water bottle or items of a similar size moving around inside the pack.

Pictures here.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I think that is the large pack, the 'small' pack is shorter. It also has internal dividers that help stop a 58 pattern water bottle or items of a similar size moving around inside the pack.

Pictures here.

I used to collect these as a kid and it is definitely the large. However I don't remember my smaller '37 packs all having dividers and if they did it certainly wasn't for a '58 water bottle.... 21years too early ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE