Parrafin wax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have made a few things out of wood.. Spoons Kuksa etc and have on several occasions been told to use parrafin wax to treat them,

where can I obtain a food safe parafin wax, and how is it applied

Thanks in advance

Dave

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'm presuming that parrafin wax is a derivative of Parrafin/kerosene and as such is a hydrocardon, if it is, I would strongly advise against using it to treat anything that was to be used for food preperation/consumption.

Of course I'm no chemist and I could be wrong (someone please educate me if i am), but personally I'd use beeswax or olive oil. it will at least smell better.

Andy

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Danish Oil for knife handles and Boiled linseed oil for food surfaces, is the advice i have had and having acted upon it experince tells me its sound advice.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks for that!

Never thought of beeswax! looking on the tin I have it says it is toxic, again I guess I need to source a food safe type

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Food-grade paraffin, as far as I know, is totally nontoxic. If it was toxic, I would probably have died at a young age, as I recall eating bunches of paraffin-coated "juice" candies when I was a kid. Forget what they called them. Not to mention people have been canning with paraffin for eons. And if you've ever eaten Edam cheese, your cheese was in intimate contact with paraffin. :D

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ah!

Thanks for that. so mineral oil and parrafinWax/oil are the same thing?

(Or am I missing something here?)

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
Ikea does sell Paraffin for their blocks.

Also, it's available as candles. Just go for the cheap white ones, which say 100% paraffin.

You burn it, it gets into the air you breathe.

So use it for a treatment for your utensils.

If nervous about non-food-grade paraffin, look around in your (bigger) supermarket.

In a cold-store cabinet, there should be a number of 1-pound-margarine packets, just waiting to be picked up.
Check the ones DEFINITELY not margarine! One might say 100% paraffin.

Heck, go to scienceforums (google it) and ask at chemistry/applied.

Then you'll know all about paraffin, including the bits you didn't want to know.

Or just sit back and watch the penguins :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have always used bee's wax or bee's wax mixed with carnuaba wax to make it harder all disolved in turps, but for oil I use olive as it will not go rancid un-like veg/sunflour can, and olive can be buffed to a fantastic sheen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE