Paraffin in leather conditioner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 25, 2012
Wolverhampton
Hi all!

Ok so I make my own Leather conditioner, 1 part beeswax, 1 part coconut butter and 1 part almond oil. It's been working perfectly for a year now, but I've been doing some reading an I've noticed that some people put paraffin in there conditioner. I cant find any information on what the paraffin contributes to the mix.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
You might well know this already but I'l mention it just in case.
In Britain we have two main types of Paraffin. The liquid fuel that people burn in stoves and the wax that gets used in cosmetics, hand creams, and all sorts of other stuff.

The Americans call our Paraffin liquid kerosene and the wax paraffin so its quite possible that its the wax that the recipe is referring to.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...and both can be used :)

Liquid Paraffin is predominantly an evaporative solvent but will also serve to soften hardened leather - although not as permanently as, for example, neetsfoot oil (which is the softening part of saddle soap), paraffin wax will set on and in the leather and contribute to the waterproofing and polishing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE