Paracord belt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I've made a couple of these now and thought I'd share some photos and details.

I used two guides when making them:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-rugged-and-handy-Paracord-Belt/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lZss5Tzp54

You will need ;
- nice belt buckle
- paracord
- something to cut the cord with
- something to melt/burn the cord with
- something to measure the cord and your waist
- lots of time

When you first get your cord you will need to pre shrink it. I put mine in the sink for approx 20 mins with warm to hot water. Then take it out and let it dry.
DSCF3885.jpg

For this belt I ended up using 40 foot of Orange and 50 foot of Tan for a 52 inch waist belt.

This is how I start the belt.
DSCF3886.jpg

The outer orange and tan cords are my working ends, the inside orange pair are the core cords.

For the details of weaving the cobra stitch watch the youtube link above.

After a while it become second nature and you just have to keep going, checking that you don't make any mistakes along the way.
DSCF3887.jpg

and some more
DSCF3921.jpg

When you get near your waist length you need to think about the end. I went approx 5 inches past the waist length and then started the end work.

Now take the two outer working cords and make a a cobra weave
DSCF3922.jpg

DSCF3923.jpg

DSCF3924.jpg

I have the advantage of having a paracord needle for the next part, but you can do the same with other tools.
DSCF3925.jpg

Now feed the cord back under the weave. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE BACK OF THE BELT!
DSCF3926.jpg

and after some time you sould have something like this
DSCF3929.jpg

Cut the cords and burn/melt flatten the ends. Yes it looks a mess, but no one will see that side (if you did it right!)
DSCF3930.jpg

you see..otherside
DSCF3931.jpg

This is how to make the loop to keep the tail in place
DSCF3933.jpg

DSCF3934.jpg

DSCF3935.jpg

and then weave the cobra stitch again
DSCF3936.jpg

DSCF3938.jpg

DSCF3939.jpg

DSCF3940.jpg

How it should look in the end
DSCF3944.jpg

I my have missed some points, feel free to ask questions.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Always fancied one, have seen a couple on EBAY approx twenty or more pounds plus postage from the states

Not the same as making one by yourself is it?

OK so you are going to need some spare time, but it's one of those projects that you can pick up and put down with ease. Just do a couple more inches every now and then.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Thanks for the kind words chaps.

Nice job - can you provide details of that needle, though?

That one was custom made, I had a friend turn down and thread some Ti for me. But if you look around the web you can buy some similar in brass.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Hi Lee, thanks again. Like wise, I'm a fan of your work too :)

Amazing work. I'd like having one like this. How long are the paracord strands?

For this belt I ended up using 40 foot of Orange and 50 foot of Tan for a 52 inch waist belt. It's best to start with too much cord, you don't want to run out. You can always make something else from the left overs.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Looking at the video it seem that the inner strands of the orange (in your case) don't get woven so they can be cut to the required length, or am I wrong?

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Looking at the video it seem that the inner strands of the orange (in your case) don't get woven so they can be cut to the required length, or am I wrong?

Yes and no.

That's the way the guy on instructable makes his belts. But I founf them a bit too wide. My method as details in first post usesone of the orange pair as the core cut to waist size plus some extra inches to work with. The other ornage cord is used to weave the cobra weave with the tan.

Clear as mud I guess.

Dean4442 - yes you can make your own needles, that should work fine. Perma lok make a jumbe needle, but I've never worked out which size is required! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perma-Jumbo...PIBQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1332676980&sr=8-6

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE