Parachute shelter centre pole

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I've usually used the method of hanging from a tree or a rope from two trees and then hung from that, but in a new location we only have short trees so I was looking into a centre pole.

Only problem it needs to be telescopic or collapsable for transport, weight isn't a problem, but it needs to be tall obviously. I was thinking of a military radio mast or similar? Anyone got any ideas?

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
How about a telescopic ladder? If you have one knocking about then a bonus but can be got reasonably priced. Plus you can use it as a ladder when not being used with the parachute....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004LJ3T2W/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1335380164&sr=8-4

I recon one leg would do the job, but still the £ side of 50 notes so thats a little bit too much for me to spend :(

Im not sure if they will be strong enough at the very tip, although a windsock is tied onto the end it doesnt take any vertical weight, the peak of the parachute will be resting on the very top of the pole

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hmm, ok you want light, portable and cheap. assuming transport is avilable and parking is close to pitch, how about 110mm plastic sewer pipe ? its light rigid and strong, can be cut into any suitable length and can be joined up with collars/sleeves and its about £15 or so for a 6mtr length :)

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
hmm, ok you want light, portable and cheap. assuming transport is avilable and parking is close to pitch, how about 110mm plastic sewer pipe ? its light rigid and strong, can be cut into any suitable length and can be joined up with collars/sleeves and its about £15 or so for a 6mtr length :)

Thats a pretty good idea, although im not sure if the connectors in the middle will stay straight or buckle under the pressure weight?

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Thats a pretty good idea, although im not sure if the connectors in the middle will stay straight or buckle under the pressure weight?

no way, use 110mm joiners not slip couplers and youll be fine, oh and just fit an end cap both ends to protect the fabric and stop it sinking in the ground. i might even use one at the meet i organise :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If you go to an agricultural suppliers, a 16 foot length of "D" section fence rail will cost about £12 - £15, buy a six foot, "D" section fence post for about £4.

Bash the post into the ground and drill a few holes to bolt the two together back-to-back. the only thing then is transporting the long rail on the roof of your car - -though you could do something similar to cutting and bolting to make the whole thing shorter in sections.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE