Parachute or Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 8, 2005
North Wales
Hi,
I'd like some advice on choosing between a tarp or a parachute. Last week we were up in the lakes, sat round a camp fire eating bread made on the fire, drinking home brewed nettle beer, all nice and dry under a tarp. Couldn't get much better. However the tarp was a little on the small side, I think its 8' x 10' from machine mart, just a simple cheap woven one in camo. So i'd like something bigger that we can have a camp fire under with a bit more room to shelter from the rain, www.machinemart.co.uk sell the same tarps but bigger, but having seen a parachute used that idea is also tempting. So a few questions,
Do you have any preference as to which?
Although parachutes aren't waterproof, can they be treated with fabsil etc to improve their rain resistance? Has anyone tried?
Also where are parachutes available from cheaply? I've seen some for £30 but the website says they're out of stock.

Many thanks
Sam

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Lidl are currently selling tarps for £3.99 4mx5m, so thats about 12"x15". its black woven polypropylene and come complete with rope. I bought one and a friend said "fantastic - that will cover my log pile - can i nick it off you!" so i had to go buy another :) :)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Parachutes are always shown in military survival manuals draped as a improvised shelter. This naturally inspires all of us Walter Mittys to buy a parachute. While I prefer a parachute over a tarp for bailing out, once on terra firma the tarp wins. First of all parachutes are a bother to set up. Remember they are designed to catch air and will continue to do so on the ground. The tarp can be readily folded into many configurations as shown on our ETS homepage. I think the comparison with a reenactors big drafty cloak vs a fitted jacket is appropriate. The best setup for a parachute is to duplicate a teepee. You need lodgepoles and lots of stakes. Any slack is going to invite every panel to collect wind as designed.

Aug 8, 2005
North Wales
Hi,
Thanks for the responses. The Lidl tarps sound good value, i'll probably get one but would still like something bigger.
I hadn't thought of the problems with a parachute like that, thanks for the advice, i'm leaning towards a tarp more now. Does anyone know where reasonably large tarps, perhaps 5m x 7m plus can be bought cheaply? Id rather a camo or olive green one than a blue one for a bit of discretion if possible.
We didnt sleep under the tarp last week, it was used just for day to day living, eating and sitting round the fire etc. There were 6 of us at the time, though i'd like something with more room for that number aswell as more people. As has been pointed out a tarp seems to have more pitching options and if less space was required could also be doubled up or folded etc.
Thanks for all your help and look forward to your responses.
Sam

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
There was a thread a while back about large tarps and canvas supplies if you do a search you should find it - in the meantime these people http://www.tarps.co.uk/canvas.htm might be worth a look

SamBell said:
Hi,
Thanks for the responses. The Lidl tarps sound good value, i'll probably get one but would still like something bigger.
I hadn't thought of the problems with a parachute like that, thanks for the advice, i'm leaning towards a tarp more now. Does anyone know where reasonably large tarps, perhaps 5m x 7m plus can be bought cheaply? Id rather a camo or olive green one than a blue one for a bit of discretion if possible.
We didnt sleep under the tarp last week, it was used just for day to day living, eating and sitting round the fire etc. There were 6 of us at the time, though i'd like something with more room for that number aswell as more people. As has been pointed out a tarp seems to have more pitching options and if less space was required could also be doubled up or folded etc.
Thanks for all your help and look forward to your responses.
Sam

Aug 8, 2005
North Wales
Hi,
Thanks, have looked at the thread I think. I went and had a look at the Lidl tarps. I've now bought 4, they seem to do both black and a dark olive green so i've gone for the green ones. They look good quality especially for the price. As they are 4m x 5m i've effictively got a 8m x 10m tarp for £16!! Also with the option to adapt it. I could have a long thin shelter or one with walls, or carry only some of it. Thanks for all the advice, especially pointing me to lidl!! I normally study all their offers but being away this week managed to miss the tarps.

Thanks again.
Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE