Parachute - Fabsil it or not ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lost in civilisation

Feb 19, 2005
england
I have just bought a PX1 parachute to take to scout camp on monday.

I have seen Rik recommend burning resinous wood underneath parachutes to waterproof them. My concern is that it starts bucketing down before we get a fire lit and then it won't get a chance to adhere to the chute.

Is it worth chucking some fabsil on the chute ?

thanks
stu

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Look into using Thompson's water seal perhaps if anything. Half the price of Fabsil and you get tons of the stuff! I know fishermen that use it to proof their shelters and they swear by it.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Set it up with a fairly steep pitch and the water will just run off, thats all ive ever done with mine, also like an old canvas tent, dont touch the chute if it gets wet, or it will drip

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Fabsil'd ours. Can safely say it doesn't work too well! It was a pretty shallow pitch though so next time out will try and rig it steeper...

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Once the fire is lit and you've heat from the bodies, worst you'll get is a misting near the cloth. There should be no drops and waterproofing shouldn't be needed .

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Fabsil'd ours. Can safely say it doesn't work too well! It was a pretty shallow pitch though so next time out will try and rig it steeper...

I've managed to Fabsil 3 tarps now and they work perfectly well.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105185&highlight=waterproof+parachute

I didn't skimp on the fabsil and I sealed the ridge line with silicon/white spirit mix to the inside.

GoOutdoors have Fabsil on offer at times and I picked up 5ltr for £22.
I guess the material/weave could differ a little but mines fine. Just test on a small piece before doing the lot.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Looking at my own parachute, I think the weave is just going to be too loose to support full waterproofing, but fabsil should help run-off a little bit. You'll still need a steep pitch.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have had parachutes up in my woods for the last 7 years continuously. Never needed to fabsil.

The worst is a fine mist that comes through. Once a weekend fires have doe their magic they become pretty waterproof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE