Para cord?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Ebay seller told me US 550 was 7 and UK was 6.
What's Joe's 9 strand ? Military issue ?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
rapidboy said:
Ebay seller told me US 550 was 7 and UK was 6.
What's Joe's 9 strand ? Military issue ?
I think this 7 strand thing is myth ... the military (US military in particular) use several different contractors for the same item. I think the specification for paracord is more likely to specify a breaking strain, abrasion resistance, diameter and minimum internal strands.

As long as it's strong and doesn't fray all over the place (which the cheap stuff does) I'm happy!

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
Joes paracord is made by blackhawk industries, an American company that supply special forces equipment. Cost is about £10 for 100 foot. Quality is excellent. I have black & green. Joe also has tan coloured as well.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Simon said:
:super: And it's llllllllllluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvverly :super:

but don't let Joe know i said so .. he thinks i have a fetish :naughty:

I got some from him, too.

There was a short piece of transparent heat-shrunk (I suppose) sleeve (I think the correct term is 'aglet') on each end of the 100' skein.

I could get some electrician's insulating heat-shrinkable sheath, but is there a better way of finishing the end of paracord?

(if I cut it, that is...)

Keith.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
If I make something that I want to make sure doesn't fray I heat seal the end and then whip it with a length of spiderline fishing line ... seems to do the trick ... that is, if I get around to cutting the paracord!!! :eek:): :shock: :rolmao:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Cut it by slicing down through it onto a chopping board - it frays less that way than just looping it over the blade. Then just melt the end with a windmill lighter or blue flame torch, failing that, the gas ring. With wet fingers you can taper the end before it sets if you want to.

I find a blue flame torch is so precise I can tie a cord loop using a double fishermans knot, cut the ends as close to the knot as I can get, and melt them flush without damaging the knot or rest of the cord. Neat when you're doing lanyards and stuff.

BTW heat shrink tube is OK but it never lasts long, always pulls off unless you get the version that is adhesive lined as well.

Cheers

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
The stuff with 7 or 9 strands tends to have mure b*Body* to it as the strand don't tend to move inside the sheath so much (try arranging 7 or 9 10p pieces as opposed to six and you'll see what I mean).

Cheers

Shaun

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I always tightly tape paracord with masking tape then cut it on a board through the tape middle. Gently flame the ends and then remove tape. No fray and no big flaming blobs.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Schwert said:
I always tightly tape paracord with masking tape then cut it on a board through the tape middle. Gently flame the ends and then remove tape. No fray and no big flaming blobs.

Well, I cut off a small length to use for something or other...

I used my pistol-shaped soldering gun.

It's one of those with a wire loop that fits to two tubes pointing out the front. The idea is that you can replace the thickish soldering loop with a loop of 16 SWG wire for cutting polystyrene and plastic... or paracord.

It seems to be just the right temperature, too, because I got a very good finish, and no dripping blobs of Greek Fire.

Keith.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yeah, nothing beats that paracord greek fire! :bu:

I generally just heat up a stanley knife blade and use that ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE