Pallet wood to the rescue....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leadblaster

Jan 27, 2016
Cheshire
image.jpg

managed to knock this up in my lunch the other day with a hand grinder and flap wheel sander. Just using pallet wood.

I'm really wanting to do this using spoon carving tools as soon as I can, I've been looking at the mora carving tools.... Any other suggestions on types of tools..

Cheers

Leadblaster

Jan 27, 2016
Cheshire
That's good advice thanks.. I'm trying different techniques at the moment and I had some spare time to use up, once I feel a little more confident in shapeing the wood I'll upgrade the quality and type of wood .

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For a "quickie" spoon, very well done. Pallet woods often get treated or stuff spilled on them = always suspect.

I joined BCUK to see what sorts of carvings are done by members.
Spoons and Kuksa are certainly popular.
There are a number of Scandanavian bladesmiths such as Mora (#162, #163 & #164) who make carving tools for the purpose.
There are some very competent bladesmiths here as members. They are held in high regard by customers.

In North America, the Scandanavian style of "crooked" knife is common on the east coast.
Here on the west coast, you are more often to see crooked knives in the Pacific Northwest Native style.
While I have repurposed a dozen farrier's hoof/crooked knives, there are some top bladesmiths for both
blades and finished tools.

Just to have a look, this is likely the best and one of the few prepared to sell blades alone.

http://kestreltool.com/index.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE