Paleo diet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tacos and burgers made with moose are wonderful. Try bison or elk next time.
Any of those kebabed and grilled, fajitas, all wonderful.

I's suggest eating fresh, eating frozen. I'd suggest learning to bake simple breads.
I'd suggest not eating tinned or plastic packaged foods whenever possible.
I'd suggest buying a freezer, doesn't have to be huge.
I don't believe that we MUST EAT the foods of 5,000 years ago.
Do as you please but never let some factory do your cooking for you.

I cook for 10 when food sales come on. Eat some, divide up the rest and freeze. Do that 6-10 times in 2 weeks.
Do the math! Probably 6-8 or more servings of 6-10 different main course dishes. Add fresh veg and for salads.
I can think of at least 6 ways to cook a potato.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Of my family ( my mom, dad and sis) I am the only one eating liver, heart, tongue and tripe, then surströmming, dried reindeer ( meat or heart) so in my case it is not an inherited habit.
I have slways been a food perv.

The best tongue ( beef) is if it is slightly brined and smoked, then Boiled, imo.

Tripe has to be of good quality, nice and white. I make a goulash of it.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I love swedish Blodpudding ( blackpudfing) , but as I go to Norway more than Sweden , I have to be happy with their version.
Almost as good! I take in about 10 packs every time I come back from there.

I pay around USD7 for a 150 grams Felix Lingonberry sylt here.

Jul 16, 2016
Scotland
Haggis, Cullen Skink, Black pudding, Cod Thongs, Tripe, liver, Heart, Snails.... with home made bread ...

god i feel hungry now... :D

I think for the majority of these 'out of favour' foods the trick is in the cooking ;)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
It’s strange how a lot of foods are avoided, rejected, boked at etc. simply on their looks or peoples first impressions or assumptions….Having worked on and off around fish most of my life it’s something I have always seen and been aware of…..When running a wet fish shop for a few years we had to sell Cat fish as ‘Rock’ because people simply would not buy Cat Fish…similarly Dog fish was sold as ‘Woof’…
D.B.

Not in London, catfish never on sale and Dogfish was known as Rock Salmon. Very tasty with cartilage instead of bones.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Haggis, Cullen Skink, Black pudding, Cod Thongs, Tripe, liver, Heart, Snails.... with home made bread ...

god i feel hungry now... :D

I think for the majority of these 'out of favour' foods the trick is in the cooking ;)
Yep!
Some of these Paleo Foods need a very short cooking time, others long and slow..
I love a goulsh made with Ox Heart.

I think if somebody wants a very healthy diet made with meats, we should look into what the Predators eat.
First they eat the insides, then if they are stil hungry, the meat.

I am sure most of us has seen the Grizzlies catching Salmon. Biting off the stomach part, with the milt or roe, and leaving the rest.
Or a Lion tucking in into the body cavity of the Gnu or Zebras.
That is where the nutrition is.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
My Mother would do stuffed lamb's hearts that were delicious. Have some liver and kidney to eat tomorrow, maybe for breakfast with a fried egg.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Get a young beef heart and tidy the thing up.
Make up a bread crumb & dice onion stuffing with lots of Italian Mixed Herbs and fresh cracked pepper.
Slather the outside with olive oil and roll it all in espresso coffee (please trust me here).
Cover and cook 2 hrs @ 325, then open for another hour , basted with pan juices.
For that last hour, surround with chunk potato/parsnip & carrot.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I can only get heart in pieces. Wonder if your receipe can be adopted? Sounds delicious!

Coffee make an awesome sauce to wild meats, venison, moose, antelope, reindeer.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Think that you could. I'd plan to wrap tight in Al foil with a good glug of white wine in there as well.
Did too much beef liver last week. Ate excessively. Don't care.
Next night, added much more onion and reheated with white wine and tight foil cover = just as good.

I think that whole bison and beef hearts are just a phone call away.
The butcher shop is about 100m from my house.
A heart is a big cook and will make 6+ meals for me.
Maybe I should do one on a rainy day just for fun.

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
If it wasn't for my weakness for biscuits I'd be eating a fairly trendy diet it seems,at least most of the time. My other half is more of a fundamentalist when it comes to "proper" food and preparation due to suffering celiac disease.
One thing that is often mentioned by those championing a more primitive diet is the assumed lack of dairy products.
Yet there are documented cases of Comanches killing buffalo calves just to drink the part-digested milk in their bellies. So maybe even if our ancestors couldn't stomach fresh milk there were other ways of consuming it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lactose tolerance in adult humans seems to be a relatively recent alteration in human genetics.
A mutation which didn't spread far and wide very quickly.
I't's believed that lactose intolerance is/was the normal thing.

The digestion process has to accomplish two different things:
1. Lactose is a disaccharide of glucose and galactose. Have to split them apart.
2. Twist the galactose molecule shape into a second glucose molecule.

I don't remember which step (either/both?) is commonly called lactose intolerance as galactose
does not come from any other source than milk of mammals.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In Scandinavia milk is drunk traditionally by adults. Not my family though. I went off milk around age 10.

I have read books written in the late 1800' where they describe how the Same cut out the teats on slaugtered reindeer and squeeze that milk into their coffee.

The Masai used to live off Cow Milk and Cow blood I brlieve?
The Paleos could only get milk from killed lactating animals.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lactose tolerance is very unevenly spread in the human population. Some claim it's an indicator of human migration.
Still, how its popularity has come to pass recently is a puzzle to me.
As I tolerate it very well, I like a glass of cow's milk each morning when I have toasted breads with peanut butter.
My D2 is lactose intolerant, my D1 is OK but is uncomfortable eating wheat-based foods & shellfish.
Not quite as omnivorous as the old man. Pass the calamari.

What the Hello were we talking about in the beginning?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A forumer asked about recommendations of Paleo diets.
We have. So we did not diverge too much. But I think he got a bit angry when we started disding it as a dad.

I have bern extensively tested and the only physical intolerance I have is against Lactose.
Now the Mental intolerances and allergies, that is a different story!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Oh. The whole notion of "old foods" comes to mind. The "Diet XXX" people crap me to tears.
Their understanding of human biochemistry is fairly primitive so their postulates are likewise simplistic.
Read any edition of Albert Lehninger's "Biochemistry." Learn it all. Teach it all. Do that for 30+ years.
I can talk the talk, I can walk the walk.

"On Food and Cooking." McGee. There is no other volume on this planet which is such a compendium of food ingredients.
It is not a cheap book. I have read all 700+ pages, looking for flaws and loop-holes.
There are none. This is an extraordinary investment if you care at all about what you eat.

The diet books are bull-tweet.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There is an increasing interest (from gastroenterologists) on the microflora in our bodies - probably robson valley knows this, but I didn't - our bodies have over 3lb in microflora. One problem with eating from shops and 'factory farmed' food is that we don't take in any variety of bacteria and fungus. These could be crucial to our health in many ways.
This is one of the best arguments for organic farming.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wonder about this lactose intolerance, or rather the lactose tolerance, thing. (sorry to get a bit visceral/personal)
I was in my twenties before milk made me really, really queasy. Food cooked with milk could make me very sore with wind before then though. I could still manage butter for a long while after that though.
I can't digest either comfortably now, but can still eat mature cheddar cheese. I can't manage soft cheese at all.

So, as a 'biological' assist to living kind of thing, is it just the lengthening of the time we produce enzyme to digest milk that has happened, and some of us slowly lose the ability to produce it, or is it an entirely new enzyme that allows us to digest milk other than our mothers' ? (and yes, I was breast fed, until I was fifteen months old)
My Uncle could still drink, and enjoy, milk in his nineties, yet my Grandmother was much like me. My adult sons are both still happily consuming the stuff by the pint, as are my brothers, so obviously the family genetics are a bit hit or miss on it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
We all are born Lactose tolerant.
I was tought 30+ years ago in med school that Lactose intolerance can happen two ways:
1: we stop to drink milk and then lose the production of the enzymatic system, a normal body reaction.
2: we lose the enzymatic system despite drinking milk. This is a pathologic reaction.

I am sure sciense has better understanding, knowledge and explanation today though.
personally I stopped drinking milk and developed the intolerance. I am fine with proper aged cheeses, and small amounts if Lactose free milk, small amounts in my cofee, or in sauces.

forestwalker

I love swedish Blodpudding ( blackpudfing) , but as I go to Norway more than Sweden , I have to be happy with their version.
Almost as good! I take in about 10 packs every time I come back from there.

Learn to make it yourself? Or do you live in one of those countries so afraid of vampires that they prohibit the sale of blood for consumption?

I pay around USD7 for a 150 grams Felix Lingonberry sylt here.

That is a slightly inflated price: you are paying almost USD 8 more than it is worth. Yes, I am spoiled.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE