Pain killers for burns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This has been on my mind since the last Scottish meet up.

I was very badly scalded as a child and it has left me with a very careful regard for hot water and a hatred of the pain of a burn.
I watched my skin puff up into blisters before my eyes; I'm very white skinned and the blisters looked like those little potato puffs that then joined together into an area bigger than my hands could cover, and then the pain overcame the shock :sigh:

My childhood family nickname was, "little Miss 'I'll cry later' " because that had been my response when asked if I wanted to cry after hurting myself falling. There was always something else caught my attention and I'd no time to bother crying.
Believe me, I sobbed my seven year old heart out that time :(

One of the children scorched his fingers on a hot pot at one of the fires we had a week ago. In the scale of things it was very minor, but oh it hurt :sigh:
His parents were right beside him, and all he did was to make just a very easily done little mistake.

Years ago we used to carry stuff in first aid kits that numbed a burn, only to be used if the skin wasn't broken though.
Then we were told not to carry or use the stuff under any circumstances.
Fine, but, burns hurt.

Is there any reason that the local anaesthetic stuff used for piercings, tattoos and minor surgical procedures, cannot be used to stop the pain of very minor burns ?

I mean Xylocaine, Lidocaine or Tetracaine.

cheers,
Toddy

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
No, they shouldn't be used as it could result in the injury not being properly treated.

A burn submerged for a minimum of ten minutes in cold water is the IA for a burn.

If a burn is really bad there is no pain, but it doesn't mean that the burning has stopped, it will carry on burning for quite some time after the original injury has been caused and the source removed.

Wings :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
His fingers were immersed in very cold water, the skin was not broken, it was very red, and it hurt very badly.

I am aware of the First Aid guidelines and understand the reasons for them, but for little burns like those, that hurt a great deal, it would have been a kindness to be able to numb them and dress them so that there could be no more damage.

cheers,
Toddy

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
No, they shouldn't be used as it could result in the injury not being properly treated.

A burn submerged for a minimum of ten minutes in cold water is the IA for a burn.

If a burn is really bad there is no pain, but it doesn't mean that the burning has stopped, it will carry on burning for quite some time after the original injury has been caused and the source removed.

10 mins is a guide, you should run it under cold water until all the heat is out of the affected area. Use cold water as opposed to freezing water or ice.
There is no reason why pain killers cannot be used as long as the injury is treated properly, I would go with a strong pain killer or a approved combination, such as paracetamol & Ibuprofen, or paracetamol & codeine. Cover it in an approved dressing or cling film if it needs expert consultation, do bot apply any cream.

Remember the guide is any burn that is bigger than your palm and/or more than superficial then you should be visiting the local A&E, you can get sachets of 'Burn Gel' (also known by other brand names) which is a brilliant bit of kit and is a vital addition to your medical kit, they also come in soaked dressings. These should not be used if the burn is full thickness.

Last edited:

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
I also burned myself very badly a few years ago [They had to amputate my leg], I carry sachets of burn shield for minor burns, blisters,scrapes etc which cools and takes the sting out of the area. As you will well know, cooling and then covering the area in cling film prevents infection and also reduces the pain involved with a burn [Prevents air movement over the exposed nerve endings]. I am not sure about using analgesic sprays on the burned area..and IMHO would advise against..i would rather take pain killers..paracetomal etc
Regards
stu

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Having burned myself many times as a chef (halogen bulbs, stoves, gas etc., etc.) I always held the burn under cold running water until it cooled if I could.

Ten minutes is only a minimum guideline as has been said, but in a busy kitchen environment, ten minutes was a luxury we couldn't afford.

Even when the burn had cooled and a sterile non stick dressing applied for protection, the burn was overly sensitive anywhere near a heat source and very uncomfortable.

An old chef I worked with one day burned himself and instead of using running water, went to the plain flour tub and patted the flour over the burn.

He explained that it was a trick he'd learned as an apprentice, and that within ten minutes the burn would stop hurting, seal itself and not be affected by nearby heat.

I didn't beleive him, I thought he was cuckoo to be honest. The following day he showed me the burn - it looked like a four day old graze. I was amazed.

The next time I burned myself (the flesh on my arm peeled off as I pulled away) I tried the trick and can assure you it works.

I don't know why it worked, or how, perhaps its the gluten in the flour.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
do not know about numbing, but a friend got a fuul on iron burn she putcontents of vitamin e capsule on it not amark left

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
All good advice....

I have a bottle of burn gel/water gel in my first aid kit too.

Important point about cling film.... DO NOT wrap it tight around a limb, as the limb may swell further, gently lay loose sheets of cling film over the area.

There used to be a caution about burn gels, warning not to use on a burn over a certain size (can't remember right now), due to the risk of too much cooling/ hypothermia, and shock.

Burn gels typically have a painkiller in the mix, usually Lidocaine, for added relief. I keep a bottle in the fridge, ready for action !

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
We were advised by the FAAW trainer ( A Paramedic) that a burn larger than a 50 pence coin should be treated in a hospital, not sure whether this was just for a full thickness burn or for the lesser burns as well.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
We were advised by the FAAW trainer ( A Paramedic) that a burn larger than a 50 pence coin should be treated in a hospital, not sure whether this was just for a full thickness burn or for the lesser burns as well.

Unfortunately knowledge is a dangerous thing and with it people think they can push the boundaries before going to A&E, the guide is anything palm size or anything you believe to be more than the outer layers of skin. If in doubt seek professional help. The 50p guide is a bit excessive to be honest, otherwise chefs and fabricators would fill the local hospital.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Not too sure of my facts here but I remember reading something a year or so ago, advising against holding a full-thickness burn under running water such as a water-tap as this can somehow increase the possibility of scarring. The advice was to fill a receptacle and immerse the area.

Anyone...?

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Not too sure of my facts here but I remember reading something a year or so ago, advising against holding a full-thickness burn under running water such as a water-tap as this can somehow increase the possibility of scarring. The advice was to fill a receptacle and immerse the area.

Anyone...?

correct, or at least thats how I was taught, full thickness burns are serious and can initiate the patient to go into shock so should be treated carefully.

mochasidamo

Mar 8, 2010
Montgomery, Wales
Neat lavender oil (good quality aromatherapy grade) for the standard kitchen type small burns. Straight on. Stinks but never had any after-ouchiness this way. Cooling with water then lavender works too...and again no afterpain.

Trisha

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I heard a long time ago about getting a burn in cold water within 10 secs was key, and if you can manage it in under 3 seconds, a minor burn will almost dissapear.
It has worked for me, although I have injured myself swan diving for the water.
I have also fallen in the lake when cooling a burn on a fishing session.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I carry the watergel in both liquid and dressing form. Its no substitute for cooling but it does stop me whinging with minor painful burns!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE