Pads or insoles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 3, 2014
uk
Pads or insoles that is the question? My fee used to be able to cope under anything and were hard as nails but sadly those days are gone and I am starting to get aching feet after long day out hiking... Been wondering should I start wearing insoles... or what about foot pads? I dont know if you can put both in at the same time I guess that would just cause my shoes to be tight and that could cause more problems than it solves.. anyway should I buy some pads or soles what would you do?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use Superfeet in my hiking shoes, I swap out brand new factory insoles for them every time. I use the green model but there are different thicknesses and firmness to choose from.

Wear do you get pain, is it the whole foot or a certain area? I used to get bad heels and found Scholl gel heel inserts were great.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
My youngest lad uses superfeet to help with his knee condition....that and his feet are flatter than the grass uncle Ray sits on .....

I use some fancy insoles that I can't remember or see the name of as they are over a year old. Well worth the ridiculous price I paid for them though.

Nailed Horbury Bridge rapids .....wooooooo

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I use Superfeet in my hiking shoes, I swap out brand new factory insoles for them every time. I use the green model but there are different thicknesses and firmness to choose from.

Wear do you get pain, is it the whole foot or a certain area? I used to get bad heels and found Scholl gel heel inserts were great.

Do you know of anything to fit Speedcross 3's mate? I'm bedding mine in and find the high arches a bit uncomfy. I was hoping they would give a little.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I use Superfeet and Sole insoles, mainly due to old injuries coming back to haunt me!

As Shewie said, where's the pain? Maybe it's best to see a GP, physio or podiatrist to see what the problem is.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Do you know of anything to fit Speedcross 3's mate? I'm bedding mine in and find the high arches a bit uncomfy. I was hoping they would give a little.

I use Superfeet green in my Speedcross, the Ortholite insoles turn to mush after a couple of soakings I've found.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
IMHO you need get a proper diagnosis, get a GP to refer you to a podiatrist, we're lucky up here in that we can fill in a form for self referal to physio's and podiatrist's :)

Over the last couple of years I've had plantar fasciitis, which maybe what you are suffering from, due to an old achillies tendon injury. The best way I can describe it is as a burning pain. I had a series of physio and also insoles made by the podiatrist, the ortho consultant gave me a steriod injection into the plantar. All this did help a little but it's a 'self limiting' condition which I was told it should clear up within a couple of years, thankfully it is a lot better now.

It's worth making an insert that goes under your heel to raise it, I used some old Karrimat and placed it under the heel area of my existing insole.

All the best with it.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
IMHO you need get a proper diagnosis, get a GP to refer you to a podiatrist, we're lucky up here in that we can fill in a form for self referal to physio's and podiatrist's :)

Over the last couple of years I've had plantar fasciitis, which maybe what you are suffering from, due to an old achillies tendon injury. The best way I can describe it is as a burning pain. I had a series of physio and also insoles made by the podiatrist, the ortho consultant gave me a steriod injection into the plantar. All this did help a little but it's a 'self limiting' condition which I was told it should clear up within a couple of years, thankfully it is a lot better now.

It's worth making an insert that goes under your heel to raise it, I used some old Karrimat and placed it under the heel area of my existing insole.

All the best with it.

Agree 100%

Throwing in insoles without any accurate data or advice is just as likely to cause you more problems than they solve.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I've just put green superfeet in my 20 year old zamberlans.trying alleviate me over compensating an injury.was very gappy with a 5 half mile walk around savernake forest today.that's good for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
You can probably pick up some Meindl MFS-insoles(Memory Foam System) in most outdoorstores where they sell Meindl boots.
They are cheap and you can cut them to the shape of your boots. they give a tremendous amount of support. The soles mold to the shape of your feet and keep the form after a few walks.

I suggested these to someone who had the same problems as you're having now and his troubles are over. He has put those insoles in every pair of shoes he owns :D

Good luck with your quest

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've used superfeet foot beds for over a decade, but recently following injury went to a podiatrist and he gave me a set of insoles to use instead. They have dramatically improved my feet. I would suggest if you are asking this question, you see a podiatrist, there may be an underlying issue that needs treatment.

J

Jul 14, 2014
uk
Tongue pads work best for me. I've tried heel liners and I always have a hard time lining them up just right. They tend to wear out quickly and migrate after a few wears. Insoles are fine in some shoes but they do tend to crowd the shoe and make for a tighter fit than I would like.

Jun 3, 2014
uk
superfeet are utter garbage. I got some and they actually damage my feet after runnign in them which aint too good. the quality of them are really cheap and nasty and fall apart as well. In the end I got some from In the name of sport which weren't any where near as expensive but worked really well for me here a link; http://inthenameofsport.com/footcare, Iv only tried these and superfeet insoles before so I dont know if In the name of sport ones are the best or what just the best that I have tried thus far.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I use a heat moldable insole. You heat the new insole for a few minutes in the oven at about 250f (121c) to soften them before you put them into your boots. Immediately put the boots on and they'll conform to the shape of your foot. The brand I use is SOLE. I really don't know if there is another brand yet to be honest as these are the only ones I've seen.

Of course with any new insoles, you need to remove the factory insoles first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE