Paddling the River Derwent and Derwentwater-Lake District

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Me and my mate Brian decided to give Ullswater a miss and carried on past Rheged and drove to Keswick and Derwentwater instead.

We headed for Kettlewell NT car park and parked up for free as Brian's recently joined the NT:rolleyes:

The conditions were more or less perfect on arrival but were forecast to change around lunchtime, with winds picking up and cloud increasing, so we were keen to get cracking and were soon paddling out onto Derwentwater.

We decided to take a look up the river derwent which enters the lake from the south.

We were soon paddling gently up the river with various makes of waterfowl and their new families watching us as we passed by.

Catbells ridge

And Skiddaw

Brian staring at the river bed some 12 feet or so below

The following pictures are a bit mixed up, some heading up river to Grange and some coming back down to the lake, with yet others where I was just spinning gently around!

There are a couple of points where you are no more than 10-15 yards from the road to Seatoller/Honister yet you could be a thousand miles away from anywhere at times too.

The scenery is sublime and you get a completely different perspective on the landscape and wildlife too. We turned back down river just about 100 yards short of Grange village and its little stone bridge across the river, then made our way back to the lake.

On arrival back on the lake the wind had, as predicted, got up and there was a short chop on the water, with an occasional small white horse or two, which made for a slightly splashy paddle across to the western side and the Derwentwater launch "bus stop". We stopped here for a short while discussing the conditions and our next move, ending up heading due north east which took us across the chop at 45[SUP]0[/SUP] thereby giving us a decent cut across with minimal risk of capsize. I wasn't sure what to expect stability and ride wise during the crossing and the conditions were a really good test of my Palava's versatility and proved once more that it really is as good as most of the other canoes I've owned or indeed paddled. In short; it's a real canoe and a boat that anyone thinking of getting into canoeing could, in fact should consider a front runner.

I took no more photo's as I'd battened down the hatches for the paddle across the lake and the wind strength continued to increase so the camera remained packed away. We paddled up the eastern shore for about a mile then turned back and let the wind blow us back down to Kettlewell, where another group of schoolkids were just heading out in rafted canoes and heading north into the increasing wind and chop.

We beached and got packed away then headed home, another tiny adventure to add to the memory banks.

Derwentwater is not a favourite of mine but it was nice to take a paddle up the Derwent to Grange and back again.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Steve

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Did the full circular walk (plus a bit further to Grange) last week around Derwent Water...I love the place. Might have a paddle if we go back in June..

rancid badger

Just a clip of one of the families of geese:
[video=youtube;ne05Zf8Eij4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne05Zf8Eij4[/video]

There were quite a few different types but I've no idea which was which

and a short clip of a few sand martins nests:
[video=youtube;IA9hhFAC8ww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA9hhFAC8ww[/video]

Cheers

Steve

rancid badger

Ive noticed a few fire pits on the islands ,are they ok for a nights stealth camp ?? ;)

No they aren't.

As far as I'm aware, all the islands in the Lakes are either privately owned or "held in trust for the nation" by the "National Trust"/ National Parks Authority. I've heard of quite a few folk being moved on by a mixture of NT and other "Volunteer Wardens" in boats patrolling Ullswater and Derwentwater( I'm pretty sure it's "locals" who report the campers and make a big fuss-locals as in multi millionaires with weekend/holiday homes around the lake shore that is) but I also see repeated instances of people bragging about "wild camping" in the same spots and getting away with it.

Frankly, I wouldn't waste my time camping on islands in the Lake District.

Me? I'd go up to Scotland and do it more realistically.

Like this for example:
https://kayakfishinguk.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/loch-shiel-circuit/
Good luck regardless

Steve

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE