Paddling near Mt. St. Helens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Got together with a local kayak Facebook group at a couple of the lakes near Mt. St. Helens, here in Washington. (Approaching the anniversary of the eruption in 1980.).

First day was Silver Lake. Small lake with lots of birds to view, but my camera phone isn’t great at capturing shots of them. Eagles, Osprey, Herons, Ducks and Geese.

After that lake outing, I chose to camp at a nearby state park and meet back up with the group the next day.

Second day was at Cold Water Lake, which is much closer to St. Helens. The lake was created by the mudflows and landslides damming Cold Water Creek. Paddled the length of the lake and back (just under 7 miles total).

After loading the kayak back up I made a few stops to take some better pictures of the mountain. Also a quick visit with Bigfoot on the way home.

Weather was great both days, (unusually so, for this time of year up here).

Reactions: crosslandkelly

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Great shots, looks beautiful.
Is that the side of Mount St Helens that blew off when it erupted?
Yes, the mountain lost about (edit) 1,000 feet (300 meters) of elevation as the peak and north face of the mountain blew out. The glacier melted instantly, creating a lot of mud flow

Last edited:
Reactions: crosslandkelly

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes, the mountain lost about 3,000 feet or elevation as the peak and North face of the mountain blew out. The glacier melted instantly, creating a lot of mud flow
I was over there doing the “RV trip” many years ago, just after the eruption. Little roadside stalls and stores were selling small bottles of Mt St Helens ash. That eruption really did change the shape of the mountain, it was huge.

Nice pics, and brought back some memories too. :)

Reactions: SSGN_Doc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE