Paddle made with axe

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi, I'd like to show a paddle I made during winter/spring this year.

I wanted to make a paddle out of a local wood (mid Sweden) and chose out a birch, as straight and with as little branches as possible. The bucksaw in the picture is a small model, the one used to make the paddle was a bigger one made on the spot before sawing and chopping down the birch (diameter about 35cm). It was December, around freezing, snowing lightly. The log was split using two axes next to each other. A rude plank was chopped out and then I left it to dry for two months.

So two months later I took the SFA and started chopping out a rude paddle, making sure everything was straight with a rope and sight. It was nicer to work on it once the temperature started to get just under or around freezing in March. So then I made the final shaping with the axe and went over to the crooked knife. Rounding the shaft, thinning the blade and finalizing the handle. Left it to dry until May and oiled it with linseed oil and a little tar.

I was afraid it would bend during the drying process but it didn't too much, it did a little though, but nothing I can notice while paddling with it.

toolspaddle.jpg

The only cutting tools used.

paddleblade.jpg

The Algonquin blade.

paddlehandle.jpg

The handle.

Hope you like it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks great - a paddle is one project that I hope to get onto this winter...but with my skills it will probably end up like Mr Ray Goodwins spatula!

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Thanks for all the friendly comments!

Sure I can show you another picture I have of the bucksaw. The one shown is actually one made on a 17day canoetrip I did in May, took only 20 minutes. It was made on day 3 and lasted for the rest of the trip (I made it to throw it away.. but I still have it.. the girlfriend thought the small saw was cute..).

I have experimented with many different designs of bucksaws in the last two years. I have made saws from sticks with a knife and also made foldable saws from ash with powertools (tablesaw).

I have tried to come up with good designs.

For the foldable bucksaw made with powertools I tried the saw posted here by Nickg, I made some of my own designs but ended up making a saw that looks a lot like the saw sold from Woodlore. Great foldable bucksaw and Mears sure got that one right!

The quick bucksaw made from sticks on the spot was also quite a search. There are many descriptions of how to do it, including the one in Mors Kochansky's "Bushcraft". After building and testing them I did not really find any that was quick to make but would also be rigid enough for real work, or I just did not understand the descriptions a 100%... Mine tended to fall apart after some time (I did not use nails as Kochansky suggest, a good design shouldn't need them)..

I used to make holes in the vertical bars to put the crosspiece in. Until I saw this video:

Watch and learn :)

10.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE