Packing a SA Trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I'm sure I've seen a post (but can't find it) about how to fit all of the bits of a SA tangia together to avoid the hook flopping about. Can anyone point me at the thread or repeat the instructions?

Cheers,

Mark

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not sure if I can describe this too well, but the hook should go through the loop that comes through the handle. To do this, you need to move the hook from the centre of the bail arm to the side. It takes abit of fiddling but it will eventually go in. If you have any difficulties, I'll dig mine out and do a quick photo.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Not sure if I can describe this too well, but the hook should go through the loop that comes through the handle. To do this, you need to move the hook from the centre of the bail arm to the side. It takes abit of fiddling but it will eventually go in. If you have any difficulties, I'll dig mine out and do a quick photo.

I'd appreciate a piccie Spam ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This is how I pack the outside bits. The inner bits I either just cram in or put seperatley. I like to stow the fuel bottle outside of my pack and not in the mess kit, I don't like meths in my food!

HPIM2964.jpg

It takes a bit of fiddling, but it does go. Sometimes, the bail arm pops oyut slightly, but that doesn't matter too much. Also, it's your kit so bend it if you have to. It's robust and can take the punishment! I hope you have a rattle free trail!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, and if anybody can shed any light on why there is a bend in the bail arm at the five o'clock position in the above pic, I'd love to know why! i can understand why in the middle of the bail arm, but why off centre?

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Ahh, nice one Spam. I was asked by someone recently what the loop bit in the handle was for and now it makes perfect sense. Cheers Spam.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I suppose if you had a strap to secure it with, you could do that. I'm not saying that my way is correct but it does stop the rattle. Funny that i never saw that post before, it seems that some seem to slip through the net now and then!

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
I do like this (as learned in the Swedish military): Put it together as in Spamels pic. But don´t fold the handle to the frying pan. First fold the handle of the pot. Place the hook in the "five o´clock" dent. Now, here is the tricky part. Manage to place the hook so you can fold the fryingpan handle down so the strap (or anything suitable) can secure everything. When the hook is in the dent, the upper part of the hook should be right under the hinge of the frying pan handle. If you have a grade one mess tin it might be easier to put them together. We learned that we shouldn´t keep the meth or the burner inside the pot. There is also an cotton towel to be used inside as an silencer. And, this mess kit and Trangia has nothing to to with each other. Trangia has never ever made this model of mess kit. I´ve e-mailed Trangia and got the info from them. It might be Optimus or someone else. /Mimung

P

Phil_NE

I always thought the off-centre bend in the handle was to keep the handle cool during use - it stops the handle from lying completely against the wind shield, only slightly touching away from the centre/burner area. Could be wrong though - I swapped mine for steel rope a while ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE