Packed and raring to go!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - apart from some fresh food which needs to be bought nearer the day - I am packed and waiting to go :)
I just hope I can get it all in my new(to me) Berlingo van - it is the smallest van I have owned and I have always managed to fill them....
To be fair it is not all essentials: there are 3 big of boxes of gear for sale, the rope making kit, the flint and steel firelighting lesson kit, the group water-barrel, more food than I hope to consume and more clothing than I hope I need (I refuse do do a laundry while at the Moot - waste of chillin time - but I like to be fairly sweet smelling!
I hope to find room for some first night firewood and a barrow to move it all in!

Anyone else as nerdy as me in having to be packed well ahead of time?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
One day i will join you all at the moot, i am currently fighting the urge to pack for my upcoming trip in 5 weeks time, alas i only have 23 kilo baggage allowance for a six week trip. this year i will have to visit the moot vicariously through all of the trip reports you lot better write

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I'm not as ahead of the game as that, but have been preparing stuff such as our Tilley lamp, cooker and mattresses. All my gear is left pretty much ready to go anyway, so it doesn't take too long. Mind you with four of us ...

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:)
My kit for 14 days at the moot is a bit more extensive than my weekend kit
Extra tarp for extended living area, more toys to play with (carving kit, spoonage kit, workshops on rope and flint and steel kits, shower, water barrel, more clothing, more cooking kit and loads more food ... I do not like to go off site once there...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Getting there slowly but had others things to get out the way like a wedding to attend.

Today is when I start in earnest sorting stuff and loading the trailer more methodically :cool:

Don't worry about firewood if you absolutely need the space John, I've been able to sort out at least 2 or 3 day's worth for us :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I just hope I can get it all in my new(to me) Berlingo van - it is the smallest van I have owned and I have always managed to fill them....

I bought a second-hand Berlingo a few months ago and I have to say I'm over the moon with it; it swallows kit and with the side door it's easy to get to stuff without having to drag loads of things out of the way. I got a good roof rack on the 'bay for little money and it'll take the same amount as did my much bigger van :)

I find it comfortable, cheap to run and spares are very cheap; I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive been sorting kit out...Largley as Dad is visiting and I want my nesting box habitable.

I am not used to living in such a small space...

But I have loads of wonderful kit to sell, never fear.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Query: Mr Fenna refers to "wood for the first night" in his OP.

What are the arrangements for wood at the site, please? Can we forage or is it brought or does it have to be bought?

Sorry if that's a newbie question, but it's just occurred to me after reading the posts.

All the best.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Query: Mr Fenna refers to "wood for the first night" in his OP.

What are the arrangements for wood at the site, please? Can we forage or is it brought or does it have to be bought?

Sorry if that's a newbie question, but it's just occurred to me after reading the posts.

All the best.

You're free to forage within reason and sense bearing in mind everyone else going would like a campfire.

Tony also gets in a lot of wood which can be processed for your use as well as the major communal fires like the main chute and Naughty Corner

The reason why John and I refer to wood for the first night is that by taking it with us we're not having to rush around setting up then going off looking for firewood.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
You're free to forage within reason and sense bearing in mind everyone else going would like a campfire.

Tony also gets in a lot of wood which can be processed for your use as well as the major communal fires like the main chute and Naughty Corner

The reason why John and I refer to wood for the first night is that by taking it with us we're not having to rush around setting up then going off looking for firewood.

Thanks very much for the info. I'm willing to lend a hand with the communal jobs if that will be of use. Shall I talk to folk once we pitch up in a week's time? More than happy to be a carrier of water / hewer of wood, as needed.

All the best.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Almost ready, well when I say almost.. I have found my rucksack.... well when I say found, I remember I have one. When is it again.......

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Just unpacked from teaching bushcraft at my daughters school so the thought of packing for next week right now fills me with horror.

Will start the process on Thursday me thinks.

See you there guys.

Cheers

George

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Picked up my trailer after a new floor put in, brakes done, hitch section replaced and all rewired, all so that we can get the kit to the Moot, so much stuff between the Moot kit and our kit for the Moot.

Worth it though :D

Jul 22, 2014
East Sussex
As our first trip to the moot, is there anything else other than the usual camping kit, fire lighting, axes, bows-long and wibbly wobbly, catapults, tarps, hammocks, bivvie bags, chocolatey breakfast cereal, wine boxes, you expereinced peole would advise.? A cursory glance across the chatter makes me think I should drum up a fancy dress box for hybrid MP Star Wars nights at the round table..... Shall We bring the splicing kit to help out with rope stuff? That's a royal we, it's the hubby who has the expertise I like to volunteer out;-)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As our first trip to the moot, is there anything else other than the usual camping kit, fire lighting, axes, bows-long and wibbly wobbly, catapults, tarps, hammocks, bivvie bags, chocolatey breakfast cereal, wine boxes, you expereinced peole would advise.? A cursory glance across the chatter makes me think I should drum up a fancy dress box for hybrid MP Star Wars nights at the round table..... Shall We bring the splicing kit to help out with rope stuff? That's a royal we, it's the hubby who has the expertise I like to volunteer out;-)

That about sums it up, unless you have some kit that you want to sell on the "Bring & Buy" table.

Anything you forget can be borrowed, made or bought from Bridgend if its really necessary!

See you next week

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE