Pack basket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Oh excellent - I'll print out the details and take them with me to the Bushmoot - and maybe take some time to make one! I've seen this on Pinterest but not known where it came from - sometimes the downside of Pinterest. I like the very posh adirondack and Appalachian ones too, but that might need me to save up to go on a course some day! Though I'm taking a pic to have a chat with the person running the basket workshop at the Bushmoot too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fiona made one about ten years ago now, and it's still useable :) The longest chore of it was making the simmons from the rushes. After that it's a knack to holding all the bits and pairing it as it grows.
It really surprised me just how much weight they safely carry and just how comfortable and practical they are to use.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mind if I ask what you're going to use them for? Trappers used to like them because the metal traps didn't gouge them through the heavy, stiff basket like they would have through a soft rucksack.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice, I've seen them in museums on Orkney.. I love the instructions!

At the Kirbuster Farm Museum on Orkney they have photos of Cassies being used as stools when empty and inverted ... tough bits of kit!
They are beyond my basketry skill but one day I may try one.... one day....
I love Orkney and its museums :)

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Oh excellent stuff - I've contacted the basket people about one of their courses - they're just down the road from me - brilliant, thanks for the links. I've printed out the stuff about the Oetzi basket and will have a go this week.

As for Orkney - on my desk is a drinks mat which says 'I'd rather be on Orkney' and on my screen is a cartoon from the Orcadian of the peedie boy standing in a doorway in Kirkwall because it's raining! Surely not. I love Orkney, totally. I've friends on most of the bigger small islands that make up the archipelago and have been on various digs around the islands too. ohhh, now I'm pining for Orkney. Good job it's the Moot on Monday.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh excellent stuff - I've contacted the basket people about one of their courses - they're just down the road from me - brilliant, thanks for the links. I've printed out the stuff about the Oetzi basket and will have a go this week.

As for Orkney - on my desk is a drinks mat which says 'I'd rather be on Orkney' and on my screen is a cartoon from the Orcadian of the peedie boy standing in a doorway in Kirkwall because it's raining! Surely not. I love Orkney, totally. I've friends on most of the bigger small islands that make up the archipelago and have been on various digs around the islands too. ohhh, now I'm pining for Orkney. Good job it's the Moot on Monday.

Visit us in Dingly Dell and we can chat about Orkney :) I had 2 weeks there again in June ... we stay in Stromness and the locals are starting to remember us from previous visits...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE