Oysters, jelly ears and curly kail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I mean oyster fungus, jelly ears (tree ears) and curly kail :D

HWMBLT went for a walk this morning and came home with a bag load of fungus for lunch :cool:
The jelly ears were frozen and just snipped up with scissors, the oysters I washed, dried and chopped and both were stir fried in good olive oil.
The curly kail was icy cold too, but it washed and shredded up neatly and was micro steamed with black pepper :)

Green and kind of peppery sweet kail, the texture and taste of the jelly ears and the tasty chunks of the oyster fungi, all in one bowl was a filling meal.

I enjoyed my lunch :D anyone else getting much foraging done ?

cheers,
Toddy

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Sound delish!

I found some oyster mushrooms last week and I fried them up in some butter. Very nice but the bigger ones had gone a bit tough. It's good fun eating the fruits of your own foraging though.

I'd forgotten my little tote bag for foraging so I had to carry them in my arms to avoid damaging them. Unfortunately this meant I had to put my tracking stick down and I forgot to pick it up :(

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's surprising how often a walk brings a stick back to your hand :D
You'd think there was no chance of finding one stick in a wood of them, but there it is, just where you needed it :)

cheers,
Toddy

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
It's surprising how often a walk brings a stick back to your hand :D
You'd think there was no chance of finding one stick in a wood of them, but there it is, just where you needed it :)

cheers,
Toddy

Ah but this one had a very useful spike on one end and a cute ickle compass on the other. I've never happened on one like it in the woods before ;)

uncleboo

Jul 30, 2008
Lanarkshire
Must admit, this year, for me anyway, has been a washout for foraging. Sloes are already shrivelling, rose hips are black, hawthorn and rowan berries non existent...the list goes on.
I have noticed the Jews ears back out and there is a tree with huge oysters on it last year that I'll have to check out this weekend.

P

Passer

I found a large group of Oyster mushrooms last Tuesday.
On the walk home through the woods, I found my first Jelly ears.
I fried both mushrooms for later....the Jelly ears exploded from the pan:(

P

Passer

Thanks Toddy
Another lesson learned.....the hard way:rolleyes:

Tony

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Ooh yes I forgot about the sloe gin and whisky we've got on the go. My 5 year old daughter reminds me religiously to to shake the bottles every other day.
Most parents bake cakes or biscuits with their kids. We tinker with distilled alcohol haha

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i saw a load of oysters fungi on a fallen tree the other day. i tried really hard to get them, but the ground was so waterlogged it would be like standing in muddy pond, and it werent warm enough for swimming. Got some super tasting mushroom formally known as clitocybe geotropa, [it now has a english name and a new latin one]. We have been eating quite a few mussels recently, i had some really very tasty dried bladderwrack crisps. Had nettle saag [curry] yesterday. I have been too busy to forage today but I trying to eat a wild food a day at moment.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I found a large group of Oyster mushrooms last Tuesday.
On the walk home through the woods, I found my first Jelly ears.
I fried both mushrooms for later....the Jelly ears exploded from the pan:(

Yeap been there done that, got one nasty blister on eyelid from it. For fresh i like them sliced in chicken broth and noodle soup.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
over the past couple of weeks ive indulged in plenty of shellfish (mussels, winkles, limpets and one piddock), a bit of seaweed that im still trying to get the hang of cooking, plenty of rock samphire, lots of sea beat and some some sea kale roots. the beach and ciffs near me are doing a good job of providing for me. gonna try my hand at some fishing soon.
made some rose hip syrup a few weeks ago and keep finding the odd field mushroom here and there, plus several others but never when i have my mushroom book with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE