Day Out Overnighter in Lavuu with GStove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Spent a few nights at my own permission near Lesmahagow in one of my modded Lavuu’s with my GStove the last few nights.

It was -2 in the evening/during the night and I was in my vest and underpants inside. The GStove is a superbly made item of kit and if you burn good quality dry hardwood it gives great heat, great cook times and if you adjust the draw you will get long slow burns. I got my GStove from
www.expedition-equipment.com
Please note I have no affiliation to this company nor am I being paid etc, just a customer.

Dont forget your CO2 alarm.

I lived on 24hr British Army ration packs which are a dream nowadays compared to my days in the 80’s.

One extra pole height in the Lavuu with extra side skirts gives an extra 23cm which is enough for sleep system to fit properly. I used a Plash Palatka as my groundsheet in this Lavuu with a Thermarest and a USMC MSS with both bags and the Gortex outer.

All my kit was carried in or on my Swedish Army Rucksack bar the stove which i carry.

Picture shows my bush TV and the view from my window.

Happy days.

Atb

John

06678B84-6C54-4D89-B45B-82EF701CA6A4.jpeg

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Chomp, you need to do what your swmbo does and skim your allowance. Ever noticed how everything a woman buys is always in the sale or just a “wee blouse”.

Took me a long time to be able to go for the stove. Well worth it though.

Reactions: Chomp

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Chomp, you need to do what your swmbo does and skim your allowance. Ever noticed how everything a woman buys is always in the sale or just a “wee blouse”.

Oh I do, its just that there are so many nice things out there and that's not factoring in my other passion of football. I need a wee lottery win to make it all happen unfortunately. I'd need to start doing the lottery right enough.

Reactions: scottisha5

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Looks a wonderful set up for the night, and you're quite right about sneaking a few things around the good lady. We all do it, and we get to justify our excellent choices of knives, stoves, sleeping bags, tarps and tents etc by protecting them, keeping warm, and cooking good food. :)

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Looks a wonderful set up for the night, and you're quite right about sneaking a few things around the good lady. We all do it, and we get to justify our excellent choices of knives, stoves, sleeping bags, tarps and tents etc by protecting them, keeping warm, and cooking good food. :)

Its a trade off Nicey, blouses and handbags = knives and bushcraft gear simples :)

I suppose if its the lady of the house who is the bushcrafter then the hubby can buy blouses and shoes too :)

Ducking now

atb

John

Reactions: Nice65

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Looks very nice, how have you run your stove pipe, out through a stitched in stove jack or other ? Did I miss a thread on your conversion and what height at the apex ? I know, I ask a lot of questions :D

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
Hello Bopdude,

This Lavuu had the stove pipe through a Stove tent protector and through one of the Lavuu arm holes but I also have a piece of fire blanket around the tent protector as a barrier between the Lavuu and tent protector if that makes sense. I have several Lavuu's two of which have stove jacks. I had just got the tent protector and was trying it out and it works very well.

This Lavuu was modded with side skirts and raised up 23cm (one pole section).

Have a look at Chairmanmeow's recent thread it details all the mods I did to his with pictures.

Cheers

John

Reactions: bopdude

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Its a trade off Nicey, blouses and handbags = knives and bushcraft gear simples :)

I suppose if its the lady of the house who is the bushcrafter then the hubby can buy blouses and shoes too :)

Ducking now

atb

John

Luckily, mine is a happy camper. When I gave her my old Multimat to sleep on after I bought a Synmat 9, she grumbled so much about me having a "proper bed" I had to donate it the Exped to her. :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

Nope I don't do that. Not me... and if I did I definitely wouldn't just get things delivered to the workshop rather than the house.

Looks like you had a cracking night out. That stove looks great. I've been half tempted to weld up something similar for a while but just haven't got round to it.

All the best
Andy

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Nope I don't do that. Not me... and if I did I definitely wouldn't just get things delivered to the workshop rather than the house.

Looks like you had a cracking night out. That stove looks great. I've been half tempted to weld up something similar for a while but just haven't got round to it.

All the best
Andy

I'm luckily enough to be at home every day except wednesday for the postie, I've even got the dog walker who comes in on a wednesday to stash any deliveries. Maybe not quite master criminal level but I like to treat myself to a 'mwah ha ha' for it occasionally. :devilish:

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Love your photo. Used to have a Bell tent and frontier stove. Easily transported in 16' canoe. And your post so reminds me......
20160406_081529-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE