Outdoor show

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Any body been to te show today at the NEC

Am thinking about going don tomrrow but want to know if it is worth the 250 mile round trip and £18 entrance fee

Is thee much Bushcraft stuff there?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just got back, bit of a disapointment, there is some bushy stands, but i would'nt drive that far to attend. This is the 3rd time i've been, and to be frank the last, unless it improves in size, to give better value(to me anyway)money.

Rob

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Any body been to te show today at the NEC

Am thinking about going don tomrrow but want to know if it is worth the 250 mile round trip and £18 entrance fee

Is thee much Bushcraft stuff there?

There's quite a bit of bushy stuff this year. Bison Bushcraft, Nordic Outdoor, Ronnie Sunshines, Bushcraft Magazine and a few others. The show itself was OK if a bit smaller than last year. All manner of stuff to look over though Tentipi, Fjallraven Tatonka Light my Fire, Lots of decent knife deals (3 Mora clippers for £20 etc) Tent city was more of a tent village this year and all indoor, :)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
In the last two years we have sworn not to go again ,but did, we are definitely not going again. (This is to the Glasgow one, which may be much smaller.) It was nearly all
stands with motor homes and caravan sites, letting you see what is available.
Even the smaller gadget stands were not exciting. Mainly gadgets to use in your caravan or camp chairs for use beside your tent. I think there was one stand with binoculars and telescopes. Definitely much poorer than several years ago.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Apparently this is the last year its at the NEC and will be moving to london next year.
It'll need to up the game then, to entice people to London. I went today, and left a little dissapointed.

OK, it's not a 'Bushcraft Show', but even so, there was little to keep my attention. I resisted buying another axe, another Carbon bladed Mora, a Fire Piston etc. Eventually left with a LMF Titanium Spork (would have bought one anyway), and a Silva head torch (Ranger Pro, I like it).

I had hoped for more 'Bushy Friendly' stannds, but there you go, it's a mass market show.

By all means, go, but don't expect Nirvana. There are a few friendly faces form the Bushcraft world, working hard, and worth a stop for a chat.

Actually, I thought it was a little funny, the number of people who get into full 'outdoor' gear, just to visit a show, I half expected to see people walking around in crampons in some sections !!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ahhh but check out the feet.... Mine and SWMBO's were covered in a thin film of Rough Close mud... (much to the horror of the slackliners when I had a go and left vibram prints on their nice clean slackline) There were loads in outdoor gear that were as clean as the Freelanders parked up outside :D

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Just got back from the NEC, went with firstborn just to see what it was like. We both agreed that while it was 'okay' it wasn't 'great' (only paid £11 for each ticket coz of an early e-mail offer)
There wasn't a lot of bushcraft stuff on display but then there wasn't a lot of ANYTHING on display really. Where was Snugpak? where was BCB? Endicotts?
TBH it mostly seemed a little half hearted apart from a few inspired individuals (Bushcraft and Survival Mag guys were GREAT, every one of them!)

If I had shelled out full price for the tickets then I would feel really miffed but we both agreed that we had a good time and it did take three good circuits of the two halls (one and a half really) to see all the stands properly

....and I did find myself making the comment of "Wow! look at everyone wearing all their outdoor gear! We are in Brum city centre! If this was a Sci Fi thing then there would be Klingons EVERYWHERE!"

It will take something pretty special to make me go again if the next one is London (Brum is just down the road from me, London would be a proper mission)

But we both came away laden with plenty of goodies at good prices so not a complete washout!

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My friend that went with me, passed the comment "i would expect, this lot to pass me on the way up everest", this was made in reference to the "outdoor clothing" being worn.

Rob

Feb 4, 2010
Pontefract
I started going about ten years ago; at that time it was mainly a canoe and kayaking show, which is my main hobby. Since then it has slowly introduced all aspects of outdoor leisure and sports to the exhibition.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Just got back and I have to say it was not as good as last year - fewer stands and a high proportion of the "Come to Trumptonshire" variety. Not so much bushy stuff as last year but still managed to part with some cash - a GB Wildlife Hatchet and lots of little odds'n'sods. Delighted that I got a free ticket from Nordic Outdoor as it made it a worthwhile day out.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
General camping seems to be on the increase this last year or so, perhaps this type of show is catering for the masses more? Even Argos are stocking items from the likes of Craghopper, Vango and Trangia.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
just got in now from the show. I was very disapointed.

Last year was my first time and my benchmark to judge against; and I have to say this year was crap!!!!

The wilderness camp area was quite small and not many shops to buy bushy stuff.
Infact the whole show I would say there were less outdoor shops compared to last year!

Sorry to be negative but I was so excited traveling there this morning and now I feel like it was a let down.

But still thanks Vince for the free tickets, I had a shufty at the nordic outdoor stall.

I did come away with a few things:- MSR pan set really cheap, Merinowool BUFF, and a load of light my fire stuff from the Nordic stall.

I was going to buy afew knives but SWMBO came with me and every time I approached a knife cabinet drewling, I got the "you don't need another knife look" and the "Buy that and your getting no sex forever look"

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
well im booked in for visiting it tomorrow my theory was that rather than them packing up and loading the vans they would offer the stuff off cheap on the last day so i hope to grab a few bargains...i have never been before so my expectations are not perhaps as high as the others. To be honest im just really looking forward to the peace and quiet of having no nippers with me whilst im having a browse with a few lads from work :-D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
After having said that we wouldn't bother going back, we got a couple of free tickets and gave it one last chance this year.

It has shrunk even more than the last time we went.:eek:

Even with the free entry it wasn't worth the 5 hour return drive and the £8 parking.

A pity really, because the first two or three years were really worth the trip.

We did get 5 litres of Nikwax Tech Wash and Tx Wash In Proofer and a Barmah hat, so the day wasn't totally wasted.:)

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Went this morning as the weather was good

I must agree paying £8 for parking was a bit much but they let my lad in for free even though he is 11 so I was up there

Inside I was dissapointed generaly but made up with th chats with Ben Orford and Roger Harrington, two people I admire due to their skills and now I have met them both , I see they are both gentlemen as well.

Came home with a Ben Orford Indian crook knife, a reindeer skin seat and a gift from Roger

Thanks Roger sheath now sorted and took a little bit of wrking out , but anothr set of holes did the trick

So was it worth while?

Well probably yes overall, the place was packed today though

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Just got back from the show today. Swmbo and I both agree it is smaller again this year with loads of the big stands missing, Berghaus, Karrimor, Ellis Bringham, Cotswold Camping, Field and trek etc

Also there was no tent village outside as in previous years. I guess the lack of Canoe and Sub-aqua 'shows within the show' have cut its overall size...

However we both thought there was more bushcraft related stores this year - the bushcraft 'arena' was about the same (but missing the GB forge :() and there were lots of small stalls surrounding it as well as three or four large bushcraft stands.

Not sure if we will follow it to London if that is true, however eldest daughter announced she wanted to go if it was in London next year :rolleyes:

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
Went this morning as the weather was good

I must agree paying £8 for parking was a bit much but they let my lad in for free even though he is 11 so I was up there

Inside I was dissapointed generaly but made up with th chats with Ben Orford and Roger Harrington, two people I admire due to their skills and now I have met them both , I see they are both gentlemen as well.

Came home with a Ben Orford Indian crook knife, a reindeer skin seat and a gift from Roger

Thanks Roger sheath now sorted and took a little bit of wrking out , but anothr set of holes did the trick

So was it worth while?

Well probably yes overall, the place was packed today though

I went on Friday, and was a little disappointed that the Orford stand was not yet open for business...

I think the last time I went to the NEC was for an outdoors show, may or may not have been THE outdoors show, but pistols were still legal, on show and for sale. There was 'have a go' field archery and clay shooting in the outdoors, on the way to the halls.

Maybe there's scope for a Bushcraft Show somewhere..... I don't necessarily mean in the same vein as Bushmoot etc, but a place to showcase the makers, traders and artisans that inhabit the world of Bushcraft.

As for the Outdoors Show, I suppose the term 'Outdoors' is somewhat vague and all encompassing, but I had really hoped to find some nuggets of wisdom and craft demos, such as knife making.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE