'Outdoor' Sheath for Opinal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
I got my Opinel this morning and am very chuffed.:D
I can't believe they sell them so cheap (£6.95 inc. p&p), you could almost throw it away when its blunt and buy a new one.

I got a mini sharpening steel aswell although I'm finding it a bit fumbly with my big old hands, I've tied a bit of paracord to the handle wich I loop around my little finger and pull it tight which makes it much easier to use.

Does anyone else use a steel on its own? If I don't get on with it I guess it will still be handy for removing the burr after sharpening.

OK James, Sharpening steel lesson coming up (I served my time as a Butcher so I can use the steel the very best)
1. Hold the handel between the fore finger and thumb of your left hand (assuming you are right handed)
2. Tilt the steel to an angle of aprox 45 degrees.
3. Hold the edge of the knife closest to the knife handle against the tip of the steel (on the grooves) at an angle of about 10 or 15 degrees
4. Lightly run the edge of the knife along the steel, towards the handle, pulling the knife downwards at the same time, so you finish with the tip of the knife leaving the steel at the steel's handel, making sure you don't actually hit the handle.
Repeat on the other side of the knife edge
Obviously, this is much easier of a full size sharpening steel, but the technique is the same for the small steel. Practice often and you will soon be polishing your knife edge really well
Just remember, a sharpening steel will NOT sharpen a dull knife. it will, however, help to maintain a keen edge on an already sharp knife.

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Thank you for that lesson :D
I was doing it the opposite way!

The plan is to run the knife over the steel everytime I use it to try and keep it as sharp as possible for as long as possible between sharpenings.
I am also about to buy a full size steel because I just bought a really nice kitchen knife so your lesson will come in handy there too.

James.

No problem James. One word of caution I would give when using a large kitchen knife on a full size steel is this. Don't hold the steel in a fist like grip. Instead, place your thumb on top of your forefinger, instead of wraping your thumb around the steel's handle. This is so that if the knife slips off the steel, it won't cut into the skin webbing between your thumb and forefinger, but would instead just cut into the top of your thumb, which would heal up much quicker if cut

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Thats the way I was holding it anyway, I've been doing it all day today (I can't leave it alone) and I can even do it pretty quick now.
Very handy for when your carving some wood and it just needs a little touch up for it to perform at its best.:D

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
someone mentioned removing the locking ring a la bernie to make their opinel legal for EDC and then having another opinel with the ring still in place to be used as a lock knife.
it's very very easy to push the locking ring back on when you need a lock knife. i've been carrying my opinel with no locking ring in my pocket as my EDC for years now, i nearly always carry a bag with me as well, rattling around in the bottom of my bag is the locking ring. so most of the time when i want to use my knife i can use it as a slit jointed folder, but on the occasions where i need a little extra safety i can simply push the locking ring back on and turn it back into a lock knife.
i'm really not sure about the legality of carrying my knife like that but it's worked for me for years.

stuart

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Thats good to know, does it loosen the ring at all when you put it back on?
I shouldn't thing its illegal to carry it like that, you could do the same with most folders and a small section of pipe, but it can hardly be illegal to carry pipe around!
I've found that I don't lock it when I use it most of the time anyway.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'm sure that it must loosen the locking ring to some extent but not to a noticeable degree, at least not so far. i've got no idea how many times i've taken the locking ring off, (and put it back on again obviously) but my #8 gets a lot of use and i've had this one for about 5 years now so it must be in the hundreds.
i worried about the same issue but decided that if it did loosen it shouldn't be too much bother to warm it up and gently persuade it back into shape with a hammer. not something i've had to do yet though so it might not be as easy as i imagine.

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE