Outdoor kit: what did you make/plan to make yourself?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Given your outdoor kit, what did you make yourself/plan to make yourself (partially or all the way from idea to object)?

DIY: Wood stove and pot from Ikea cutlery stand and steel coffee container, folding frame/bow saw, wooden cup (kuksa).

DIY plans: Wool poncho from blankets, tarp, wool shirt from blankets, firesteel handles.

Last edited:

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Projects for my 3 weeks off work!

Diy Antler toggles for my bergen zip-pulls.
Mini-folding pot stand for trangia
Stuff sacks from ripstop left over from my diy underquilt

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Most of my used kit now is MYOG, apart from clothing and footwear. What isn't has mostly been modified.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Off the top of my head:

I'm using a knife I made based on a Lauri blade to which I fitted a handle, the sheath is leather culled from my old school satchel (done before leather satchels became the in thing again!).
I use several of my dad's old axes which I've re-hafted and sharpened an made masks for, some leather some wood.
I've restored my step-granny's old yorkshire pattern billhook which now lives in a home-brewed wooden sheath.
I've done several fire-steel handles from bits of antler.
I've had a go at a few kydex sheaths for Moras and Hultafors knives.
Countless cartridge matchboxes.

In planning is my take on the venerable mk7 gasmask bag, but slightly larger and with dedicated internal pockets for a Laplander and typical sized knife, canvas to be cut from a surplus duffle bag.

Might remember more later.

Dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've made quite a bit of my own kit;
Knives & sheaths
Bags
Smocks & jackets
Stoves & billy cans
Camp kitchen equipment
Spoons, cups, bowls and cooking utensils
Countless modifications to clothing, tools and all manner of stuff

I started making my own as a means to frugality, I simply couldn't afford the Gucci gear. However, it has become a bona-fide method of acquiring kit as I really enjoy the process of creation and the abilities it infers for repairing and modifying just about anything to better the way that I operate.

ATB

Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a self confessed DIY nutter and can go out into the woods, fully equipped, using nothing but gear I have made myself :)
DIY clothing - hat, linen shirt, wool shirt, wool bushshirt, waxed cotton jacket, blanket lined waxed cotton gilet, linen under trousers, wool trousers, wool cloak, wool booties, Iron Age shoes, Iron Age gaiters, turnshoes, woollen hood ...etc.

DIY gear - rucksack, haversack, belt pouch, belts, tarp, hammock, hobo stove, pot hangers, candlestick, spoons, spatulas, cups, bowl, sporks, forks, pouches, stuffsacks, knife (forged the blade and made the rest), maul and gluts, pack frame, waxed cotton covered blanket, seat pad/blanket holder, woollen sleeping bag, bramble and willow baskets, flint and steel kits, bowdrill sets, rope, cordage, bow (with help) arrows, spears, flint tools, knives (stock reduction blades), sewing kits, bronze adze (traded for the blade), water bottles, bark pots, coconut pots, billy cans ...etc

DIY on site kit - tables, chairs, debris shelter, tripods, greenstick grills. A bridge (with help) Lean to shelter (with help) revetted steps in a steep bank (with help) now destroyed...etc.

Canoe (now dead and gone) with a lot of help

DIY projects - I am in the middle of making another Kuksa, a square bowl, spoon, spatulas and spurtles from Cherry: I would like to make a better tarp, a bigger pack, better shoes, better gloves, comfortable underpants :))) and a lot more.

Some kit is made in the woods, some at home

If I am not making I get bored ... and most TV is not worth watching...

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have made a tarp, various small bags pouches and stuff sacks [legs off old trousers work quite well] little meths stoves, a couple wood gas can stoves and a few fire grates.

I'm wanting to finish off my folding fire box and computer fire box both have been left for too long, I need to get back to them...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
So far I have made leather sheaths and masks for all my cutty/choppy things, a couple of leather belts
Designed and made my own side opening back quiver
10x5 silnylon tarp
3 bush shirts of various weights
foraging pouch
numerous stuff sacks

Still to make is a bivy bag and ground sheet
6 or7 axes,billhooks and slashers to rehandle
a forge is also on the waiting list

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
mostly knives, from bits of car spring found at the side of the road.
A forge, a gas bottle stove.
A yurt, a laavu style tent (both made with Jane)
A few bags, both for small items and a side bag.
A lot of cordage from string.
Notebooks or binding printed items for reference.
penny stoves.
Lots of spoons and a couple of bowls and a cup.
Most of the sheaths for knives from leather.
A quiver.
A couple of stools.

It's good fun giving these things a go, the reading and research is always useful, there's always something to have a go at..

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Lots of inspirational work done! Sewing, for instance - I made some canvas bags back in time, must get to it again; small bags and pouches are best when custom made.

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Knives, sheaths, bows, arrows, quivers, tabs, scrapers, possibles bags, walking sticks (not any more though), wood and horn trinkets...whatever I needed at the time. I have a good armfull of birch twigs and a hazle pole drying in my sehd to make a besom broom out of at the next field archery/BC day. All good clean fun :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Currently the kit I made myself,

A couple of knives, carving and camp knives.
Leatherworking tools
Double bit axe
Archery bracers
Sheaths for knives and Axes
Stash bags
Quiver
Arrows
Light and Heavy belts
Bow
Cup
and so far that is it

But I am currently working on my own:

Tarp
Jacket/Parka
Gloves
Soft soled water tight Mukluks
Canoe ( half way done, its a Cedar frame canvas skin Canoe)
Paddle
Backpack
Snowshoes
Tent

And eventually hopefully I can build my own house, but well that will take a little bit of time, getting somewhere on the designs though ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would love details on the Wax cotton Blanket pleas Mr Fenna, sounds good!!

Also I fully agree about the TV, so much in fact, I don't own one!, wouldn't have one if given to me!...if i want to watch something...I have a laptop.

The wax cotton covered blanket is just that - a blanket with a piece of waxed cotton sewn on to cover one side ... actually the waxed cotton is longer by about 1/4 and there are tie outs/guy points around the edges of the blanket so that I can peg it down as a ground sheet or clip it around me as a cloak. The waxed extension can fold back to form a "foot pocket" or just make the area covered that bit bigger... one of the simplest projects and the most useful!

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh yeah - forgot to mention - archery quivers and rigs, tabs, bracers, just made my first Besom broom, Stretcher Beds, wooden trowels, axe and Bill hook handles, sulphur matches, camera cases, cloak pins ... and more :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have made quite a bit of kit myself but there is very little my kit that I have not modified in some way.

It's very rare that I find a piece of commercial kit that couldn't be improved in some way. Often it's just a bit of fettling and finishing but sometimes it becomes the starting point for a complete makeover.

As far as listing it all, I wouldn't know where to start.

May 30, 2015
mid-west US
WP_20150602_08_05_52_Pro.jpg
I have had to alter or make my own gear for years. Im currently assembling a bedroll with carry harness. My issue is size. Im tall so I'm making bigger bedroll so i can stretch out.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE