Outdoor business

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cephas

Jul 9, 2007
Chaves, Portugal
I am sorry if i am not allowed to post this here, or if i am posting it in the wrong place. If so, please let me know and if needed erase this post.

I have, for same time now, been contemplating earning my living doing what i love: being outdoors. So, i am thinking about having an outdoors business in my country.

My question is: any suggestions or advices for someone starting a nature related business?

Thank you.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... any suggestions or advices for someone starting a nature related business?

My advice would be the same no matter what sort of business you plan to start.

I've been running businesses for about 40 years.
I'm sorry to have to tell you that no matter what business you get into, the really difficult part is keeping up with all the administration.
I suspect that in Portugal it will be even worse than it is in England.

Most startup businesses fail.
They do not fail because the people involved are not enthusiastic about their line of work.
They fail, mostly, because the people involved do not understand business and/or do not spend enough time on business administration. Things like making a business plan; cash flow planning; advertising; insurance; pensions; paying the bills and getting paid on time -- or getting paid at all.

You probably know what you need to know about the outdoors in order to run this business, but do you know anything about business?
If you do not, then before you start a business, learn all you can about running a business.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
100% agree with Ged.

Make a business plan that is realistic, account for everything from tea bags through marketing and insurance etc. Your business plan will change especially in the 1st couple of years. Keep it up to date and STAY on your figures, cash flow is king. A business plan is not just figures you must have operational plans, marketing plan and a plan for recruitment and delegation. Don't employ friends or family, at least for the 1st couple of years. Make capital expenditure decisions wisely, it's true that if you buy cheap you will buy twice. If you can, even at planning stage, structure your thinking as if business departments exist (marketing, sales, finance, legal, operations etc.) This will help you with your planning and will help you as your business grows.

Don't be greedy, be genuine and honest and be prepared to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year with little or no backup or support.

I use a strategy prompt for most business planning decisions. I visualise it as a triangle with these elements at each point: Statement of intent (what do I want to do and how do I need to do it), Foresight (What is happening in the future that will influence my business, why do I want to do this, what is influencing this decision, where will this take me in the future), Capability (what do I need to make this happen).

A final word of advice - If you want a day off from work in the next few years; if you don't want to deal with every single stupid BS problem; if you don't want to be absolutely responsible for absolutely everything and absolutely everyone involved in your work; if you want a holiday in the next few years .................. Work for someone else.

If you go for it enjoy the ride and try not to burn any bridges along the way.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
I'd recommend an introductory course in business for sure. There's a university you can do distance learning with and people from around the world use them called The Open University. I think it's called B120 and it costs about £1300. You'll learn a ton!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE