Out of the way campsites, Cheshire or North Wales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I've got a fair list of campsites but I'm looking for one that is out of the way or family quiet just for a few days away. Happy for legit sites and not to bothered about wild camping for a few days so fire away with any suggestions if you have any!

Will be a few days away with my lads who are 15 and 13.

Ken

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Round the corner from you Ken.

Me and my lad are going on the NorthWood meet... just off the M6 Toll... before this one we went to the meet in Stead Hall Woods... good fun, great people and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.

NorthWood starts tomorrow at noon, so maybe a bit late to arrange for this one... but I figured start with some organised meets before me and my lad head off into the hills :)

If you can camp during the week, there is always the scout place... near Woolaston area... forget the exact location, but I can look it up.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Pete, dewi thanks, both great suggestions. I'm looking at getting a few good weekends in before winter sets in.
Have managed to get a scout camp for this weekend with no one else present!
How a scout camp can be empty on a BH weekend confuses me but I'm not complaining.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Blimey, you're lucky! Every camp I've contacted were booked solid, but it could be because its the last weekend before the start of the new school term??

Whereabouts in Warrington are you Ken?

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I dropped them an email and although they don't allow anyone non scouting on this site I was a scout a good few years back in my youth, this along with my job got me access. Pretty grateful really as they allow altar fires etc and have a wood store for use.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Just up the road from Winwick.

I did find one scout place that would let a group on, very reasonable price as well, but the problem was it is the other side of the Yorkshire hills from me and they're not sure they can do weekends as they're fairly solidly booked :(

One thing I hadn't considered was Wales... does anyone know the rules on camping in Wales? Is it like England or Scotland?

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Its good in a way that in the main they are busy. No good for us though!
Rules in wales are the same as England. I've wild camped in the mountains there and generally accepted as arrive late, leave early, leave no trace. I've never had trouble there at all.
Wild camped on Denbigh moor a couple of time and used the same principles. Again, had no issues.
Your not far away at all.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
King that looks great. Love Ambleside. Looks like you will have a great time over the weekend.
I will take some pics of our stay at the site this weekend and get them on here Monday/Tuesday.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Be interested to see where you've both been after the weekend... want to take my lad out more often... he's starting college in a week or so and to be fair it won't be long before camping out with Dad is uncool.

Likewise about Ambleside... its a great place... used to hire a boat in Bowness and float up to Ambleside with my lad, grab a hot chocolate, back down to Fell Foot, then back to Bowness. Got to love the Lakes.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I'm on the limit of being uncool already but I think they indulge me a little. I always try and fit in a couple of visits to the pub while we are away and this place is local to a water sports centre, both places seem to go down well.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
One thing I hadn't considered was Wales... does anyone know the rules on camping in Wales? Is it like England or Scotland?

If your English and caught after dark, I think we can still shoot with a long bow...other than that in some places you might get your tent burt down!:)

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
I called in there the other week, and I couldn't believe how busy it was..

I hadn't been there for maybe 10 years, and the amount of static caravans on there was very suprising. As you drove down, you used to be able to camp on the left down by the small brook, but that looks like all statics and one or two cabins now..I take it all the tents pitches are on the right now? Lovely setting though with the ruins of the Abbey, plus decent facilities as well..

Another possibility would be at Station Campsite at Carrog just a few miles further up the Dee Valley: http://www.stationcampsite.com/

Last edited:

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Back and took a couple of pics of a completely deserted site......
24ce05c3866e91a5e4903ef9af2196ac.jpg
96049c30b479656ab697e2bb513102f7.jpg
d33b126907b9a49101963cbc207cef48.jpg
cbcda1f00238cdb6cf4ce80e897cb6e9.jpg

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I like how my playstation wielding lads brought along their outdoors clothes lol. Had great weather and sleeping with all doors to the tent open both nights. Had a great time.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
There is a campsite I have just come back from at Llyn Gwynant, it is hard to find a better setting at the foot of Snowdon yet there are a couple of pubs near, the famous Pen y Gwrd being one of them. Fires are allowed, provided you source the wood from them, (for sound conservation reasons). The best part is that you do not have to book, you just turn up and pitch (bank holidays excepted). There is also the opportunity to canoe or swim in the lake.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE