Out of practice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My wife has granted me leave to have a weekend away without her and the kids. The last time we had a holiday was about four years ago when my oldest son had just turned one, and that involved a car full of kit just to sustain a small child for a couple of weeks. Now I'm sat here trying to remember what it was like back in the days of simple holidays and what I'll need to take. My rucksack is empty and needs dusting, my fishing gear is all up in the loft somewhere and I'm not even sure how I'm going to wake myself up in the morning without a couple of small children jumping up and down on my groin. I'm torn between spending the whole weekend sleeping and appreciating the silence, or making full use of the time and walking for miles without having to go at a toddler's pace and stopping for ten minutes every time we see a sheep or cow. Two precious days of freedom, and probably a heavy price to pay when my wife calls in the favour afterward.

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I am kind of in a similar situation, but it is two nights away to attend a conference at Lincoln University. There is likely to be lots of drinking, bad dad dancing and fast food......but I am likely to be sleeping :)

Reactions: Nice65

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Good for you Dave.

It's important to get some time for yourself, to remember yourself. It's easy to get lost in being a parent and that's your only identity.

Whatever you do it'll be time well spent.

I look at it a bit like resetting the clock. I know I'm better for it afterwards. Which is good for the family and me.
Enjoy.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
My wife has granted me leave to have a weekend away without her and the kids. The last time we had a holiday was about four years ago when my oldest son had just turned one, and that involved a car full of kit just to sustain a small child for a couple of weeks. Now I'm sat here trying to remember what it was like back in the days of simple holidays and what I'll need to take. My rucksack is empty and needs dusting, my fishing gear is all up in the loft somewhere and I'm not even sure how I'm going to wake myself up in the morning without a couple of small children jumping up and down on my groin. I'm torn between spending the whole weekend sleeping and appreciating the silence, or making full use of the time and walking for miles without having to go at a toddler's pace and stopping for ten minutes every time we see a sheep or cow. Two precious days of freedom, and probably a heavy price to pay when my wife calls in the

It’s good to get away for a while & reconnect with the wilds or just do nothing & think nothing.. you’ll more than likely return with your inner batteries charged & feeling clear headed.

Going for a hike/camp will blow the cobwebs away.. might be hard going but the rewards are equally as good.

As much as we need to be around loved ones.. it’s good to escape & be with oneself for a while to reflect with no hindrance or background noise.
Be free & enjoy yourself once in a while.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Get out and do it. Staying at home sleeping will be a waste of an opportunity that may not occur again for many months!

There's a plethora of kit for the outdoors scattered about your home, gathering dust, each piece silently sobbing, wishing to be used as designed........ at some point purchased by you for adventures in the great outdoors!

Go for it! Do it now! If not, you'll regret it every time you come across a piece of that kit that you brought all those years ago............

Once you're outdoors with a pack on your back and the sun on your face, you'll be patting yourself on the back for a decision well made immediately!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I think I've come up with a good plan for the weekend now which will hopefully give me Friday free as well, as long as the kids go to bed promptly on Thursday night anyway. The hardest part has been working out plans for each day that don't involve having to be home in time to help get the kids to bed. It's been routine for so long that having an evening free just isn't something I plan for anymore. Friday can be a warm up day. Leisurely bimble with no real destination or purpose, but I pretty much know what area I want to explore now that I have the freedom to do so, and there happens to be a bakery and pub about halfway. Saturday will be a good long hike on one of my favourite, but sadly publess, coastal paths, and Sunday will depend on how my legs are feeling but I fancy a bit of beach combing and general putting-off-going-home activities.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I think I've come up with a good plan for the weekend now which will hopefully give me Friday free as well, as long as the kids go to bed promptly on Thursday night anyway. The hardest part has been working out plans for each day that don't involve having to be home in time to help get the kids to bed. It's been routine for so long that having an evening free just isn't something I plan for anymore. Friday can be a warm up day. Leisurely bimble with no real destination or purpose, but I pretty much know what area I want to explore now that I have the freedom to do so, and there happens to be a bakery and pub about halfway. Saturday will be a good long hike on one of my favourite, but sadly publess, coastal paths, and Sunday will depend on how my legs are feeling but I fancy a bit of beach combing and general putting-off-going-home activities.
Great.
That sounds awesome.
You've got a plan. I hear you on the routine with family. Time for you is so important.
Doooo it!

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Let us know how it goes! There's a section called 'Out and About' for trip reports if you feel like it....

Hope your weekend has reignited the love for the outdoors!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE