Out in winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Looking to be on a course next month which is down in Glen Tanar area and was looking for advice for sleeping out in the cold?

Would a tarp, bivy, Pat 58 sleeping bag and army blanket be enough to keep warm in the cold up this way? I have never really slept out in the cold yet.

As for the tarp it is a dd 3x3 and I was thinking of closing the flaps at the front and having the back pegged down. Would that leave much room inside?

I would try for the hammock but I do not have an underblanket as yet.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I used a self inflating mat in my hammock and never had a problem,If you're ground dwelling make sure you have a good sleeping mat .Sometimes a good mat is better than an extra layer on top.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
58 pattern is a good bag. I've used one in a hammock, with a sleeping mat, to minus 7 before and was warm enough.

I would not put a blanket on top- it will just compress the down and reduce warmth. Could be helpful underneath though, folded double, on top of the sleeping mat.

Although the 58 pattern has a waterproof base and can be used direct on the floor, you will lose heat to the ground. I would strongly echo sappers comment about a sleeping mat.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I sleep out on Dartmoor on Friday night with just a three season bag, cheapo roll mat and an army surplus goretex bivi, I don't know how cold it was but there was a slight frost in the morning and I was toastie

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
When it comes to roll mats cost is not so important as thickness and material.Standard issue mats are very good insulation and cheap too.
Best bet would be to sleep in the garden a few times when you know it's going to be cold,that way you'll know if it works or not.All my kit is garden tested before going to the outside.If something doesn't work then it's only a few steps to the house and being warm and dry,much better than finding out your new kit doesn't work quite as well as you thought it would especially at 4 am and 12 miles from home.

I used a self inflating mat in my hammock and never had a problem,If you're ground dwelling make sure you have a good sleeping mat .Sometimes a good mat is better than an extra layer on top.

I would prefer the hammock to be honest, but its a thin DD hammock and I do use a self inflating mat (slim airic) in there when I am out normally but I thought that in the colder months you would need an underblanket.

Doc, I was thinking of bringing the blanket inside the bag for that reason, sort of lie on the main part and bring the two sides up or down that way I can cool down if its too warm. That way it isnt compressing the loft of the bag.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
That would be a good idea and as you say won't compress the loft.

Unless we get a very cold snap probably the bag will be okay on its own with a sleeping mat. It's a;ways difficult to judge bag warmth as everyone varies. For me the 58 was fine at minus 7 and I am a cold sleeper. Having said that I have seen minus 15 here in Scotland and I would want something warmer at those temperatures. I guess in November about -5 to +5 is likely overnight.

You never mentioned any insulation from the ground! - Insulation is key to keeping your warmth, I'd swap your army blanket for a dutch roll-mat any day :) Hope you have fun.

ooops forgot to mention that in the list. But yes I will have a roll mat/air mat with me. Strangely enough its not something I usually forget but did here.... :eek:

thanks sapper, may give it a go out the back this weekend, supposed to be chilly as the north wind does blow this week.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Personally I'd take a tent, don't see the point in leaving myself exposed to changes in wind direction but thats up the you. The 58 and bivy will be fine but pick up a foam mat or self inflating mat. A one litre pop bottle makes a great little hot water bottle too :)

kasakaa

Jun 23, 2010
England
I would prefer the hammock to be honest, but its a thin DD hammock and I do use a self inflating mat (slim airic) in there when I am out normally but I thought that in the colder months you would need an underblanket.

Doc, I was thinking of bringing the blanket inside the bag for that reason, sort of lie on the main part and bring the two sides up or down that way I can cool down if its too warm. That way it isnt compressing the loft of the bag.

Heya,

I also prefer hammocks with airmats in, and tend to find that because they kind of wrap around and cradle you its warmer in a hammock than on the ground! Woken up with frost and snow on the tarp, but still been toasty warm.

warning though - the tempation to stay curled up and cosy rather than getting up and sorting out camp is greatly increased in a hammock in the cold! :p

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Lots of talk about kit but I think there's other factors in keeping warm, one of which was very apparent this morning - Your position on the terrain.

I live in what I suppose you could call a bowl (hills all around) and has a stream running through it.
Temperature was -2 Deg C here this morning with a fair old frost. As I drove but less than 2 miles away and about +90 meters elevation the temperature reading was +5 Deg C with no frost.
That's a massive difference and perhaps something else to consider.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i slept in the woods last fri and iam heading out again sat morn got a new webtex basha on the way to try out to happy days,
i had to get up for a leak twice during the night this makes you colder my thought for drinking cider

Hi Pandabean,

If you haven't used a hammock in the cold weather yet I would go for floor accommodation, you would need to spend a bit of tinkering time with your hammock to get it right imo. I would go for your sleeping bag in a goretex bivvy bag with a foam mat beneath. I would make a lean to type shelter with your dd tarp. What kind of course are you going on? Don't forget a warm hat to sleep in.

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
all this advice is great but you need to understand how well you cope with the cold yourself. I used a sleeping bag in february at about minus 3 that my missus complains is too colsd in summer.

What works for doesnt work for another. Do you sleep under a 15 tog duvet in ahouse with central heating running think this nice or do think I need the window open and a thin blanket in winter.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
all this advice is great but you need to understand how well you cope with the cold yourself. I used a sleeping bag in february at about minus 3 that my missus complains is too colsd in summer.

What works for doesnt work for another. Do you sleep under a 15 tog duvet in ahouse with central heating running think this nice or do think I need the window open and a thin blanket in winter.

Very good point. I'm off to Scotland in a couple of weeks, sleeping out on the mountains. I'm just not sure what to take for a sleeping bag.

wind chill is a massive factor not alot of people think about. yes you may have a tarp up but it will still creep in that temp drop!! like brancho said, "what works for you doesnt work for another,Do you sleep under a 15 tog duvet in ahouse with central heating running think this nice or do think I need the window open and a thin blanket in winter. "
i personaly sleep with a 2 season bag and a plain bog standard matt. even at work people have hats and gloves on and big fluffy coats, i wear a tshirt. its all about trail and error. try kipping in your garden and test different methods/lair combinations etc....

scotty

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I once camped in January and regretted my sleeping bag choice as it was +7C at night and I was in a tent and was absolutely roasting in my bag rated at -2c for comfort.
Same bag in a tent at -2C was very nice.

Wind chill is a real factor for a bivvy/hamock.

Artzi

Oct 31, 2010
Finland
Looking to be on a course next month which is down in Glen Tanar area and was looking for advice for sleeping out in the cold?

Would a tarp, bivy, Pat 58 sleeping bag and army blanket be enough to keep warm in the cold up this way? I have never really slept out in the cold yet.

As for the tarp it is a dd 3x3 and I was thinking of closing the flaps at the front and having the back pegged down. Would that leave much room inside?

I would try for the hammock but I do not have an underblanket as yet.

Fresh air while sleeping under your tarp won't hurt at all, if your sleeping bag's 'comfort' is near the expected temperature. Just check that you will be safe from rain and wind. Also grab few chemical handwarmers with you, I promise they will save your trip! :umbrella:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I would have to add - a merino T-shirt if you can, keep socks on and a wooly hat.

I used to sleep really hot, but since about 32 sleep much colder. I have invested heavily in good winter kit and my -17C Rab goose down bag is one of those real joys when it is cold. As a result of that, a good wool mid layer and some good thermals I actually prefer going out in frost than any other weather.

I think that having small childern at home it means 12 hours in said down bag is a luxury I won't tell my wife about for a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE