Out in the cold...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Hi,

My wife and I went out for a cold weather snowshoe/cross country skiing adventure for the last couple of days in Riding Mountain, Mantoba. The temp was minus 36 degrees C with wind chill; minus 25 without. For me, such trips have to have some aspect of testing out skills/equipment, which usually include making a fire with materials found on the hike, using a fire steel.

Here's my Busse Boney Active Duty about to chip off some pine resin to use later in making a fire:

busse1-p.jpg

Some nice scenery:

snowtrees-p.jpg

arch-p.jpg

Some rose hips... one of the few flora that can be found in winter and has some nutrient value:

3hips-2-p.jpg

I'm not sure what tracks these are... it was too big for coyote, and I'd be surprised if black bear was out around this time of year. I think it might have been cougar/mountain lion. The mitten was a size large, for perspective.

tracks-p.jpg

I was able to get a fire going using a fire steel, birch bark, and some kindling taken from a piece of standing dead black polar (some light batoning and prying was well tolerated by the knife, notwithstanding the frigid temperature), with some feathering. I used a small platform for the brief fire:

busse2-p.jpg

fire2-p.jpg

Back at the jeep: :)

jeep-p.jpg

A couple of learning points for me:

- my piezoelectric lighter did not do well unless I kept it in a pant pocket... if kept in a backpack pocket, it was too cold to light.

- in my survival kit I have lots of matches, sealed in a small plastic container with water-tight tape. I realize that if I needed to access them in today's temperatures, I would have a difficult time opening the container. I think we should all imagine trying to use our survival gear when our fingers are so cold that they don't work well (if you'll be in cold climates)

- water is a challenge. I think I'll need to switch to a bladder system, with an insulating cover for the hose. I used a water bottle, which I carried upside-down to minimize freezing at the mouth of the bottle... it still froze shut. If you're out in such temps with a bottle, I would suggest opening it every 10 minutes or so. I do believe it helped to carry it upside down, though it wasn't fool-proof (as this fool will attest to)

- I tried using some dead grass that I found, as well as the dried, brittle branches under spruce trees as tinder/kindling (learned from Mors Kochanski's summer course). Neither would ignite even if a match were held to it... perhaps too much humidity in the air. I found the best kindling was feathered wood from the dry centre of standing deadwood.

Regards,

Mike

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice post, just had to turn up my heater! :D
Were you carrying your water bottle inside your Jacket or rucksack?
ATB Fraxinus.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Nice post, just had to turn up my heater! :D
Were you carrying your water bottle inside your Jacket or rucksack?
ATB Fraxinus.

Hi,

The bottle was just in an outside pocket of the backpack... I'm sure it would have been OK if I had carried it inside my jacket - I didn't have an inside pocket that would accommodate it (a 2 litre bottle). That would definitely have been an option if I were more concerned about the water... we only went for about a half hour between frozen lid and getting back to the car. Even a match/lighter would have warmed up the threads enough to allow opening.

Once I used a CamelBack-type bladder, but the tube froze solid. My kids bought me an insulating sheath for the tube which I haven't tried yet. I'm not sure how much an insulating tube will help, since it doesn't actually generate heat.

Mike

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
No need for an insulating tube for your Camelbak. Do what I do;- after having a drink simply blow back down the tube 'til you hear bubbles. No water in the tube, nothing to freeze :)

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I think we should all imagine trying to use our survival gear when our fingers are so cold that they don't work well (if you'll be in cold climates)
Mike

I fully agree, its been said many times on the site, and it not just cold, doing stuff at night in the rain adds a whole new dimension...:)

No need for an insulating tube for your Camelbak. Do what I do;- after having a drink simply blow back down the tube 'til you hear bubbles. No water in the tube, nothing to freeze :)

You beat me to it - I have an insulated tube but the bite valve can freeze. My Camelbak Hellion has a long pocket built it the shoulder strap so the whole thing is covered and secured.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE