Out and About – Help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Folks, (not sure if this is in the right part of Forum,mod’s please feel free to move if not)

I’m going to ask for a bit of help. I’m rapidly becoming a bit of a shut in. Due to circumstances after my father died suddenly last year,(not wanting to get into that), but due to this my confidence left me completely. It has got so bad I’ll find anyexcuse to not even take my dog out for a walk.
Thankfully I have a very supportive wife and children and they are trying to help me through this.

I love the outdoors and feel more comfortable there than anywhere else it’s just I can’t seem to get myself over the door sill without feeling panicked/nervous and when I do get out am literally terrified someone will speak to me. Due to this my health is suffering as I’m putting on weight and losing my fitness. I’m generally a friendly happy go lucky person but this has changed and I now find it difficult to speak with anyone if we have nothing in common. I don’t have a lot of close friends and the ones I do have live a considerable distance from me so can’t be much help and they are not what you would call the outdoors types (being mostly gamers).

I would like to ask if any kindly soul would like to give me a bit of company on the occasional walk or go out on the odd overnighter to get me back into the swing of things. Like I say my fitness levels have went way down and due to some back problems I can’t walk for miles and miles(although I hope to be able to get back to walking larger distances), I’m not always the most talkative of people but do like to listen and learn if others are forthcoming .

Being a typical noob Bush crafter I have all the kit, just not the chance to use it. So don’t need to borrow anything apart from some good company. I do drive and am quite willing to go a distance for an overnighter or walk,although this will depend on my wife’s shifts as we need someone to look afterour two girls.

Hope to hear from some folks that would be interested and even going out in group would be fine by me (as I know all would have similar interests )

I’ll leave it at that as I’m sure someone will get back to me and hopefully I’ll get to know some of you a bit better.

Cheers

Andy (Treeclipper)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
If we were closer Andy i'd join you, I hope you find a good crew and break the control it has over you right now, your honesty and openness is clearly from the heart, when the mind takes a knock it is as much shock that it has happened to us as well as the factors behind it.

In 2001 and i got knifed in the stomach in an argument over £5 in a taxi queue outside a nightclub, at first i thought i wasn't bothered and then had a total mental breakdown just after finding out it took surgeons over 4 hours to save my life, I spent 4 years agoraphobic and never left the house at all not once (put on weight up to 18.5stone and became heavily depressed and negative), internet was my enabler, i filled my house with hobbies to stave off the oncoming madness that i could feel creeping in from all sides, stupidly i never reached out but done the idiot man thing of just bottling it up.

With my perspective of now I can look on the good side that this was like 4 years of intensive education on specific subjects i loved, at the time i was broken in regards to social situation and interactions and more than anything (as you can imagine being in my early 20's at the time after 4 years without) I wanted SEX, this is what eventually broke the agoraphobia control and gave me mental ammo to fight back.

I just wanted to share that honesty as your own honesty touched my humanity (if that makes sense) and mostly to let you know i got out of it, completely, i ended up going back to college in 2005 for a year as a mature student, i'm still a bit broken now but i think we all are in some way or another.

Made me a more compassionate person, maybe that in itself was worth it for me as i was definitely lacking in that area, not that i would have agreed 2.5 years into the lockin if some professional during treatment said "All this will be worth it one day as it will make you a more compassionate person"

Wish you well Andy and hope you get what you are looking for with this request,

cheers

Rob

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Welcome to the forum Andy there are some great groups in your neck if the woods so to speak. Good luck with getting out and about again.

Sent from somewhere?

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Hi Andy

If you want some company and I am free then we can sort something out, probably over a weekend. Maybe a wee walk to break the ice ?

Pete

scoteng

Mar 19, 2014
Central Scotland
I was going to say wellcome but with nearly 300 posts, you have been around much longer than myself.
I am based near Falkirk and would be happy to meet up with other local folk.

I am in a similar situation to yourself, I have little experiance but enough kit to be getting on with. I have a car and would like to get out more often.
I am acually on holiday this week so am available during the day Thursday and Friday this week. Normally I am restricted to weekends.

If you want to meet up for a walk/chat (Beecraigs?) let me know (either here on in a PM).

All the best
Al

Hi folks,

Thanks for the reply's and pm's, as always with this forum I'm overwhelmed by how willing folks are to give a helping hand.

Rob,

Thanks for replying mate, it helps reading through what you've been through as it lets me know I'm not the only one to feel like this although the circumstance were different, the outcomes are similar as well as the feelings. Cheers :)

Jacko and Weekender,

Thanks for the welcome guys , although I have been on the forum for a long while, I usually don't post to much, something I'll try and rectify.

Disruptive,

Thanks mate, once my confidence levels come back up I may take you up on the offer . :)

Pete, Al,

I'm pretty close to Beecraigs, it's somewhere I used to spend a lot of time at before all this happened. Would love to go out for a wander up there. Like I say mostly it depends on my wife's shift's but I'm usually free most weekends and some evenings during the week. If you fancy arranging something give me a pm and I'll send you my mobby number.

Thanks again for all your replys.

Andy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE