Our resident bat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Guys and Gals,

I wondered if anyone has any experience of bats, as in flying animal type bats!!

Since we have lived in our house, which we brought brand new 6 six ago, from spring time till autumn we have a bat that at dusk flys in a circle around my back garden.

I have tried to google for some info as to why it would be there and what it could be doing but to be honest I cant really make alot out of the info that its giving me.

Like I say I think its only the warmer months it comes out/back to my garden but it just seems really odd, but also quite nice.

Before the houses were built here it was a council yard for donkeys years and before that I have no idea.

Any of you guys come across anything like this? Should I be worried/actively searching for some sort of nest?

Cheers
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Its probably looking for your man cave :D:D

Bats are very common mate at dusk especially given you live on the edge of the sticks. They are adapting to house living more and more though as natural habitat gets removed. Nothing to fear though if you have bats in your belfry. They dont make nests, they dont chew stuff and their guano is not a health risk. Love the bat-man

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
What's your local area like it's possibly the local high point for them while doing there nocturnal doings....

Or you have a Bat fetishist living in your attic if that's the case I recommend contacting the police.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Its probably looking for your man cave :D:D

Bats are very common mate at dusk especially given you live on the edge of the sticks. They are adapting to house living more and more though as natural habitat gets removed. Nothing to fear though if you have bats in your belfry. They dont make nests, they dont chew stuff and their guano is not a health risk. Love the bat-man

Lol, it certainly doesnt appear to be doing any harm!! Just me and Steph think its bloody mad hammering it round in a circle!!

But from what I have read they tend to keep a lot of the nasty flying midgies away so now bats are my new best friends!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
What's your local area like it's possibly the local high point for them while doing there nocturnal doings....

Or you have a Bat fetishist living in your attic if that's the case I recommend contacting the police.

I live out in the fens mate, its flatter than a flat thing on flatter thing!! So I dont think I at a high point of anything as its all the same height.

As for the Bat fetishist, Im now sending the wife up to look...........

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We have a little Pipistrelle (I think) which does exactly the same Steve. I live on the end of a row of terraces, there's a high church wall next door which seems to be the end of his run. He does laps up and down back gardens on my street, I used to think it was turning on the security lights to attract more insects. I've noticed the last few years that it comes out a lot earlier in the day now, we do get a lot of insects in our garden though so it's probably good hunting ground.

The cat will sometimes sit on the shed roof and take swipes at it, I'll try and get a vid of it one day

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They are probably rabies carrying Fenland Vampire bats.

I wouldn't worry mate , the death is quick and relatively painless. :)

greensurfingbear

Circling is hunting if its a pipestrelle, dusk is a good time to see bats and now it's warming up there is a lot more food. We get them here.... Hardly surprising when you get some nights and the sky is like this
7ujuzadu.jpg

Orric

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
We have a little Pipistrelle (I think) which does exactly the same Steve. I live on the end of a row of terraces, there's a high church wall next door which seems to be the end of his run. He does laps up and down back gardens on my street, I used to think it was turning on the security lights to attract more insects. I've noticed the last few years that it comes out a lot earlier in the day now, we do get a lot of insects in our garden though so it's probably good hunting ground.

The cat will sometimes sit on the shed roof and take swipes at it, I'll try and get a vid of it one day

That could be a good point actually, we have got a fairly big open space/park next to my house so that could be a good feeding place too!!

I wondered if ti was anything to do with the soil, before we bought the house it failed the envoironmental study something to do with the ground being polluted by the council yard.

Who knows!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Circling is hunting if its a pipestrelle, dusk is a good time to see bats and now it's warming up there is a lot more food. We get them here.... Hardly surprising when you get some nights and the sky is like this
7ujuzadu.jpg

Orric

Wow!!! Thats some seriously impressive battage!!!

Would they cause any damage or problems in a group that big?

I think Scousers Bat fetishist would have whale of a time there lol

greensurfingbear

Wow!!! Thats some seriously impressive battage!!!

Would they cause any damage or problems in a group that big?

I think Scousers Bat fetishist would have whale of a time there lol

Lol sorry mate should have said them are flies..... Sky was alive with them at dusk the other day.... Saw bats swallows and shifts feeding at the same time.

Orric

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Yeah midge...... Which species exactly I'm not sure but it was amazing the sheer volume of insects was quite a sight

Orric

Wow Im not sure whats worse a swarm of midgies or a swarm of bats that big!!!

To be fair they couldnt have been the commando midgies that live in the galloway forrest, the poor bloody bat wouldnt have stood a chance!!! lol

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
GSB if they are annoying you, or causing damadge a ultrasonic screamer might help. But it can upset dog's so it might not be a option.

But if it's a bat fetishist, I can recommend a few other tactics to displace him :D

greensurfingbear

GSB if they are annoying you, or causing damadge a ultrasonic screamer might help. But it can upset dog's so it might not be a option.

But if it's a bat fetishist, I can recommend a few other tactics to displace him :D

Not annoying at all they where well above head height I stood a while just watching them.... The rest of the folk passing me must have thought I was a odd ball lol

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE