Our dependence on electricity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
What context would that be? The wiki article has pretty much all the info you need to either get a grip on the basics or go and research it further.

The context of generating power. Sorry. I made the rather rash assumption that there was a fully philiosphised up idea on how generate power with this using seawater or something and didn't see anything in the article that gave that impression. And that there would be something like that elsewhere I'll look harder. Is that an idea you came up with?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The context of generating power. Sorry. I made the rather rash assumption that there was a fully philiosphised up idea on how generate power with this using seawater or something and didn't see anything in the article that gave that impression. And that there would be something like that elsewhere I'll look harder. Is that an idea you came up with?
Huh?

This link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmotic_power

I posted earlier in the thread. There is a prototype up and running in Norway(fully philosophised and realised) (not my idea)
The world's first osmotic power plant with capacity of 4 kW was opened by Statkraft on 24 November 2009 in Tofte, Norway.[7][8][9] The plant utilized the original schematic proposed by Loeb. [10] This plant uses polyimide as a membrane, and is able to produce 1W/m² of membrane. This amount of power is obtained with water flow through the membrane of 10 L/s, at a pressure of 1 MPa. Both the increasing of the pressure as well as the flow rate of the water would make it possible to increase the power output. Hypothetically, the output of the SGP-plant could easily be doubled.[11][12]I

- perhaps you missed my first post. However when you said "the wiki article" I assumed you hadn't? Not sure what else you need?

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Huh?

This link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmotic_power

I posted earlier in the thread. There is a prototype up and running in Norway(fully philosophised and realised) (not my idea)

- perhaps you missed my first post. However when you said "the wiki article" I assumed you hadn't? Not sure what else you need?

Yes I missed the first post, searched for the term Osmotic and found a different Wiki article. That link is perfect. Cheers.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

Still not truly "clean" but yeah, that is much better. How easy is it to tell the difference between the two radon gasses though when the agencies test fro radon on real estate for sale?

well, what do you think future generations will do with all the uranium plutonium waste ? I think they'll send it into the sun when technology suffices. Begs the question "why so much uranium for so long ?" far too much for weapons. 2 catastrophies and hundreds of thousands of tonnes of highly long living radioactive waste. But then again there are areas exposed to certain chemicals etc that should be evacuated just like chernobyl. The non existing mutants of chernobyl do exist in places where certain weapons where used. Back to electricity. Yup we're seriously dependant on it especially for computers, which we have become heavy users of, but the modern world economic system in the end is just a way of trading energy, whether the energy used to power robots and machines in manufacturing to manufacture other robots and machines and consumables, or energy itself for propulsion or heating. Without energy the modern world wouldn't function.

The radon question I don't know, probably very pressing if your working in real estate.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
well, what do you think future generations will do with all the uranium plutonium waste ? I think they'll send it into the sun when technology suffices. Begs the question "why so much uranium for so long ?" far too much for weapons. 2 catastrophies and hundreds of thousands of tonnes of highly long living radioactive waste. But then again there are areas exposed to certain chemicals etc that should be evacuated just like chernobyl. The non existing mutants of chernobyl do exist in places where certain weapons where used. Back to electricity. Yup we're seriously dependant on it especially for computers, which we have become heavy users of, but the modern world economic system in the end is just a way of trading energy, whether the energy used to power robots and machines in manufacturing to manufacture other robots and machines and consumables, or energy itself for propulsion or heating. Without energy the modern world wouldn't function.

The radon question I don't know, probably very pressing if your working in real estate.

We mine the radioactive material from somewhere. Why don't we put it back? Sometimes we forget this stuff occurs naturally too.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Nuclear is far and away more efficient than windfarms, the output generated by a nuclear power station dwarf's that of many windfarms combined, i live near a nuclear power station and a large windfarm half the time the blades are'nt even turning, thus not producing,though i do have a interest as wife works in power stations all over the country.
No it doesn't.

Look up the output figures. The windfarms currently online produce 2/3rds the output of nuclear. The reason you often see windmills not turning is that they have been intentionally feathered; the grid can't cope with the input. We need to upgrade the grid and add more pump-up storage.

Looking at total energy cost is a good idea. The energy cost for extracting, transporting and refining oil is huge. The 'energy in minus energy out' equation doesn't produce a lot. We use oil because it is very convenient to transport to the point of use and the energy density is very high.

The energy equation for nuclear needs to include decommissioning . . . .

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
We mine the radioactive material from somewhere. Why don't we put it back? Sometimes we forget this stuff occurs naturally too.

This province (Saskatchewan) has huge uranium deposits and the world's largest mine, as well as other smaller mines.
Some of us don't want it. Many would prefer to see it left where it is and not have any development whatsoever. Like anything else, there are those for and those against, and no amount of talk or facts will sway either side.

To add fuel to the fire, there are now proposals to store nuclear waste here as well, and naturally this too is a very emotional issue, perhaps even more so than the actual mining of uranium. Money and jobs appear to be the only reason to even consider doing such a thing. Those in favour, like anyone pro nuclear, tell anyone that's willing to listen, just how safe it is, while opponents are doing what they can to inform the public that the exact opposite is true. I suppose the truth lies somewhere in between.

Some background information:
Uranium in Canada

Uranium mining in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
This province (Saskatchewan) has huge uranium deposits and the world's largest mine, as well as other smaller mines.
Some of us don't want it. Many would prefer to see it left where it is and not have any development whatsoever. Like anything else, there are those for and those against, and no amount of talk or facts will sway either side.

To add fuel to the fire, there are now proposals to store nuclear waste here as well, and naturally this too is a very emotional issue, perhaps even more so than the actual mining of uranium. Money and jobs appear to be the only reason to even consider doing such a thing. Those in favour, like anyone pro nuclear, tell anyone that's willing to listen, just how safe it is, while opponents are doing what they can to inform the public that the exact opposite is true. I suppose the truth lies somewhere in between.

Some background information:
Uranium in Canada

Uranium mining in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if you have mined radioactive material out of a place then the best place to put radioactive material would be the place it was taken from in the first place - thus very little net disruption in the overall areas "radioactivity" so to speak?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
But if you have mined radioactive material out of a place then the best place to put radioactive material would be the place it was taken from in the first place - thus very little net disruption in the overall areas "radioactivity" so to speak?

No, I do not see the logic of that. The best place to store it is somewhere out of the way, that isn't, or will not become a source of water and where the geology suggests that it will remain constant for a very long time.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No, I do not see the logic of that. The best place to store it is somewhere out of the way, that isn't, or will not become a source of water and where the geology suggests that it will remain constant for a very long time.

But radioactive uranium occurs in a uranium mine, it's already having a natural impact?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land

The uranium is mined in an area known as the Athabasca Basin
The proposed area for a nuclear waste site is located farther to the south in the Canadian Shield
Saskatchewan has approximately 100,000 lakes, along with many rivers, creeks and streams of all sizes, with the vast majority located in the north, which is the area of the proposed waste storage site. Huge amounts of highly radioactive materials would be concentrated in this one facility, if it becomes a reality, and would remain highly radioactive for thousands of years.

This is the reason for considering the Canadian Shield as a desirable location. Apparently it is a very stable formation, not subject to geological disturbances (eathquakes)
What to do with the waste is a problem that's not going to go away and one which may haunt us for generations to come if it becomes a reality. Like anything else deemed safe, only future generations will know for sure
How to put Canada's nuclear waste to bed

Nuclear waste disposal site

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
But radioactive uranium occurs in a uranium mine, it's already having a natural impact?

But it irradiates millions of tonnes of concrete, steel, and other waste. Remember nuke plants are virtually erased from their original location and stored. The japs have got millions of gallons of radioactive water. They cannot catch fish off the plant. And also refined uranium from ore is also weapons grade as pointed out earlier.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
But it irradiates millions of tonnes of concrete, steel, and other waste. Remember nuke plants are virtually erased from their original location and stored. The japs have got millions of gallons of radioactive water. They cannot catch fish off the plant. And also refined uranium from ore is also weapons grade as pointed out earlier.

What does that have to do with putting it back where it originally came from? It was there naturally before it was mined and was radioactive then.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
well, what do you think future generations will do with all the uranium plutonium waste ? I think they'll send it into the sun when technology suffices......

I've also thought about that option. And the technology already exists and is fairly simple. The vessel containing the waste doesn't need any elaborate navigational equipment; just the ability to reach escape velocity with the trajectory already set. The sun's gravity will do the rest. But reaching escape velocity takes quite a bit of energy in and of itself.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Or just use it when they develop the new generation of reactors?

I am sure I heard a debate with Professor Johny Ball that we could develop reactors that consumed the fuel by-product of the current process.

A lot of "Nuclear waste" is other material that comes off a nuclear site, whether that is used overalls or office chairs it is classed as "Nuclear waste".

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sou...-GB&q=johnny+ball+nuclear+debate+january+2008

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
True. Nuclear waste includes contaminated items other than the actual fuel rods. Rather like bio-medical waste.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I've also thought about that option. And the technology already exists and is fairly simple. The vessel containing the waste doesn't need any elaborate navigational equipment; just the ability to reach escape velocity with the trajectory already set. The sun's gravity will do the rest. But reaching escape velocity takes quite a bit of energy in and of itself.

trouble is ;

It costs $10,000 to put one pound in
space so 625,000 hamburgers would cost
$1.5625 billion dollars
How would you keep them fresh? Launch
a deep freeze big enough to hold 625,000
hamburgers. Say two hamburgers are 10 x 10 x 10 cm
= 1000 cubic cm
You need a freezer 3125 cu Meters or 15
meters by 15 meters by 15 meters tall and
this is for just ONE hamburger per day per
person.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
trouble is ;

It costs $10,000 to put one pound in
space so 625,000 hamburgers would cost
$1.5625 billion dollars
How would you keep them fresh? Launch
a deep freeze big enough to hold 625,000
hamburgers. Say two hamburgers are 10 x 10 x 10 cm
= 1000 cubic cm
You need a freezer 3125 cu Meters or 15
meters by 15 meters by 15 meters tall and
this is for just ONE hamburger per day per
person.

Yeah, cost is the limiting factor for now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE