Our dependence on electricity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......I bet japan doesn't think nucular (< G.W.Bushism!)

Not really a Bushism. It's the way more than 90% of Americans (myself included) pronounce it. Only highbrows actually say it correctly; and even they usually only do so when speaking formally.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
After looking up thorium and discovering that one of it's decay products is radon gas, I'd hardly call it "clean."

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
After looking up thorium and discovering that one of it's decay products is radon gas, I'd hardly call it "clean."

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Radiation/UnderstandingRadiation/UnderstandingRadiationTopics/Radon/

We all breathe it in throughout our lives - for most UK residents, radon accounts for half of their total annual radiation dosage.
However, geological conditions in certain areas can lead to higher than average levels. Some of the highest radon levels have been found in the southwest, but levels well above average have been found in some other parts of the UK. Exposure to particularly high levels of radon may increase the risk of developing lung cancer.
The HPA has advised that indoor radon above an Action Level of 200 becquerels per cubic metre (Bq m[SUP]-3[/SUP]) should be reduced. Most homes in the UK have fairly low radon levels, with an average of about 20 Bq m[SUP]-3[/SUP]. The HPA conducts radon surveys for government departments, local councils, other organisations, and private householders.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Over here radon testing is one of the requirements before selling homes. Very few will actually be sold if significant radon is discovered.

Without actually looking it up, I suspect the largest contributor to the radiation exposure of most people here is medical and dental x-rays. Most people have a dental x-ray done annually and I personally average around three medical x-rays every two years or so.

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
In parts of the UK especially Cornwall the underlying granite is a big contributor. I have only had one x-ray done in the last five years and that was for a badly sprained ankle to check for any bone damage.

I found this a while back...

radiation.png

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In parts of the UK especially Cornwall the underlying granite is a big contributor. I have only had one x-ray done in the last five years and that was for a badly sprained ankle to check for any bone damage......

You don't have an annual dental exam?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have two a year, but it doesn't involve any need for X-rays unless absolutely necessary, I don't recall the last time I needed a dental X-ray, has to be over 5 years though

I suppose it's a different protocol. I have two exams and professional cleanings a year. The dental x-ray is an annual part of the more major exam here.

I miss being on active duty; then I got four professional cleanings a year due to diabetes.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I think replacing down escalators with slides, shows some promise as energy saving measure.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
No one interested in Osmotic then? Given we're an island nation it seems like it has potential.

Got a link for something a little less abstract (for this context) than the Wikipedia article?

Has anyone mentioned a stirling engine yet?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE