ouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I can't :censored: believe it. I was cycling home from college and at the bottom of a hill was a pile of wet leaves. My wheel slipped as soon as i hit them and came right off. I went to casualty and found out that i have quite seriously broken my thumb!!!! (writing with one hand now). The break has gone right through, almost completely off about halfway up my thumb. You could probably snap it off if you want to :?:

Oh well, hand surgeon on friday........

:cry: :wink:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Ouch. I've never broken anything. But have had a lot of accidents on bikes. You really think a lot before hitting the ground. The worst is scratches and not cuts, IMO, cause they sting.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Jake Rollnick said:
You could probably snap it off if you want to :?:

If I were you I wouldn't suggest that to people who have a fascination with all things sharp :wink: ...

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
:shock: ouch mate

just remember a sore finger is a sore thing but .......

a sore thing is not a sore finger

hope it doesnt knacker up your plans too badly

Tant

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers guys,

Im right handed and it's on my left which is good, i know what you mean about leaves, i usually skid over them, but my back brake ain't working!
I had never broken anything before now, but i also tore the ligaments, whoch is worse as it takes longer to heal.

I hope im alright for the half-term break, i had a few trips planned!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
control of your bike is so important. when you get better get the bike sorted. If like me you want to do some tough stuff with a bike get to know how to sort out problems as bikes need a lot of care to keep working to the best safety.

Disc brakes ar a god send to the mountain bike world

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
You're all so nice! :biggthump:

I have disc brakes on the front, it's funny, i don't think i have ever come off my bike!

Hopefully broken digits don't take too long..............

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Leaves are a real pain on two wheels. Same with sand I found out a few years ago and that was in a truck. :roll: Sorry to hear about your injury and good luck with the surgeon on Friday. Hope all turns out well for you.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Frogo, you maybe right, an excuse to stay in and work!

Much appreciated RovingArcher.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
OMG talk about dim! Frogo, took me 10 mins but i got your joke!!!!!! :rolmao:

:biggthump

I hope so Stuart, i sprained my ankle a few years ago while climbing and i didn't let it heal, big mistake. I now have one very weak ankle.

G

Ginja

Jake Rollnick said:
You could probably snap it off if you want to

Oooh mate, no need! :shock: Not long had my breakfast ... !! :wink:

Rest easy,

G

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Jake Rollnick said:
Iit's funny, i don't think i have ever come off my bike!

I have, and if it's any consolation I have always been useated by objects other than cars...

1) A kerb...misjudgement from road to pavement on a wet day...I give myself a score of 9.5 for that one, a good, graceful, full on skid, but the embarrassment value was only about an 8.
2) A bush, randomly thrust forward a large twig right through the spokes of my wheel...both the bike and myself just went sideways, as if being pulled to the ground by a piece of string. Score, 7.5...embarrassment 9.7...there was a long line of cars right behind me. (Just get up and keep going Kimberly...pretend nothing happened...)
3) A group of geese...I was so excited about seeing such a number I stopped a bit too sharply on wet grass and well, there you go...score 5...embarrassment, 6.5. Some nice man stopped to ask me if I was alright...geese...stopped...nice...I seem to remember mumbling!!!

Ahh the joys of the bicycle...I love it! Hope you recover soon and well matey!How do you feel you scored, by the way?

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
I feel for you mate - I hate coming off my bike (mine have mostly been due to careless drivers :***: )

The worst one though was due to diesel on a left-turn that I used to take at a good speed. Bike just went down under me and I skidded face-first along the road. The worst bit of that (apart from having to cycle the remaining 4 miles home...) was having to turn up to work and deliver lectures with a face that looked like something from a horror movie :yikes: I'm sure that class got significantly lower marks than previous years' :rolmao:

Shamisen

Jul 18, 2004
S.Wales
Never fallen of my bike but i recently got thrown off my horse, and got winded :rolmao: I had to laugh or i would have cried LOL.
The worse bit was, i was getting graded at the time, amazingly my instructor
still passed my grading, phew :eek:): No injuries this time except my pride :eek:):
So I got off lucky.

Good luck with the surgery

Shamisen

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Sorry to hear about your prang mate,hope it all goes well.I've mashed various bits of me bod and I know it :***: Hurts!:yikes:. Hope you get well soon.
Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE