Ouch...handdrill attempts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I am attempting to get a fire going with a catstail drill and willow base. I am getting smoke and filling the notch but no ember. The dust is too light so i think i am not creating enough speed to get the temp up. Do you guys use only the palm of your hands or the fingers as well? Running the drill over my knuckels (on the palmside) is mighty painful and causes blisters but does allow longer strokes. Any hints from the pro's?

Lennart

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the only way your hands toughen up is to keep going, I've tried the hand drill a few times and never quite got it either.

There's a good method using a clove hitch with two thumb loops on the end to keep your hands from sliding down, I'll try and dig some pics out.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Thanks shewie! I am aware of the thumb loops technique but would like to do it 'old school' with just the drill and base. I guess you are right and I just need to toughen up. Especially near my middle finger my hands are red as a strawberry....

Do you guys have the notch towards your body or away from your body? Using the bow drill I have the noth towards me but I am thinking of turning the board the other way for the handdrill. When I lean forward to put pressure on the spindle I have my torso over the board. There might be less chance of slipping out of the hole if I have the noth away from the body. Just thinking out loud here.

Lennart

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I am making some progress and from time to time I am getting good black dust and a reasonable amount of smoke. Had some giant blisters on my hands, but I guess I am toughening up because my skin is better now. Close, but no coal yet though.

When do you guys start a new hole for drilling? I find that when I am half way through the board, I am getting too much friction on the side of the spindle. The speed drops and no more good smoke.

When I get frustrated I take the firebow to make an ember just to 'log' a success. Amasing how easy that seems in comparison to the hand drill.
I am determined to get it though so am not giving up. Matter of pride now ;)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I got a stem of a Evening Primrose to give a couple of tries. It is a nice material and I am getting some dust and smoke again, but whilst gearing up for the final ignition, I actually split the spindle at the tip. Too much downward pressure I am guessing. I took a pic of the dust. Brown but not dark enough I reckon. Any feedback from the pros?

P1030292.JPG

P1030290.JPG

I am getting to the stage where I think I could do it with the right set and some more stamina. My brain must be running out of oxigen ;)

Thanks for any hints :)

Lennart

Last edited:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi DUCky,

Keep exploring this, you are definitely getting there.

Getting the best combination of materials is crucial. With cattail (I presume we mean "bullrush" or typha) it is tricky - need biggest diameter you can find, all leaves stripped off, lots of speed and little pressure (or the cattail rips up). I've not knowingly tried evening primrose.

As a reliable set I would suggest starting with elder drill on pine (commercial untreated - eg pallet wood). The elder ring of wood should not be paper thin. The tip about 12-15mm diameter. If using softer wood base board like willow then you will probably need a wider diameter drill to get good punk - but that increases the work you need to do.

Looking at your picture - that ring of dust outside the drill hole shows there is some fluffy material attached to the drill sweeping round the action. This creates a lot of air currents and blows away the finest powder - the bit that ignites easiest. The dust in your hole looks quite fibrous (probably from the texture of the drill) - not good for ignition. Should be heading for talcolm powder ideally.

With friction from the sides - yes you need to deal with this. You can renew a hole by making the sides wider (temporarily use a bigger drill, or drill at angle, or a knife or a file.)

Direction of notch - doesn't matter.

Let us know how you get on.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Thanks for all the good tips Richard!
I am trying to get a bit of practice in every day. I am currently blister-free so good to go again. Amasing how fast the shoulders begin to hurt after a bit of handdrill practice. Still trying to build up stamina.

I will post a pic of my first coal when (not if ;)) I get it!

Lennart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE