Some bowdrill queries..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Congratulations on success. Regarding FGYT's comment on Ivy, i have personally found this to be the easiest, ivy on ivy is excellent, it can be difficult to find a suitable piece for the drill but if you can find that thick stuff growing round trees you can cut it to shape, it smokes a lot, i find it the easiest wood to procuce an ember.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done!
That first flame makes you feel realy good dosn't it!?
I use hazel on Ivy as my standard kit these days and find it very quick.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
It certainly does make you feel good, I was as giddy as a school kid last night, so chuffed!

I need to find myself some Ivy and experiemnet i am hooked now

Mang

Settler
My son (in year 4) is doing friction at school. He took the hearth and drill in to show them and my wife said that she was sure I'd be happy to show them, even though I've not managed to get a flame.

No can do-Apparently health and safety prevents it as it's a fire risk!

Oh, and well done on getting your ember...

Finally, I've got some Ivy and Sycamore sets seasoning (at least three months old), is this officially seasoned?

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Fire hazard - surely you must be joking? I'm always amazed at the type of society that has recently popped up.....fire risk from a fire bow. Now I've heard everything. Next thing you know, they will ban shoelaces as they can be used as snares and garottes....

d

PS - so that I don't completely hijack the thread - what has been everyone's success with the two stick hearth method?

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
shame on the school board. Just exactly WHAT do they teach our children.

embers - yep, they do need that tinder....at least you know you can do it, and you will do it again...good job.

D

Mang

Settler
shame on the school board. Just exactly WHAT do they teach our children.

embers - yep, they do need that tinder....at least you know you can do it, and you will do it again...good job.

D

Had to overcome a cracked board and frayed cordage but I've joined the Fire From Friction Fraternity today. Three consecutive attempts has left me aching but I care not.I'm officially, not nearly, a fire risk to the school! :D

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I managed to do it about 5 times over the weekend now. Im sure my right arm looks like popeyes through all the rogorous drilling.

I've had to overcome a fair few problems though each time. As with Manq above, my string frayed and broke on the third attempt, so i stole some off the lawnmower, but this was then too short for the bow so had to lop about 4 inches off.

Then the top of the spindle decided to smoke when drilling, so some reshaping and extra lubricant was required (vaseline doesnt work so had to stick with scrunched up grass).
I also placed some thistle down in to my tinder bundle to aid it to burst in to flames.

But its all a learning process and i even managed to demo it to a member of my family - blimey its nerve racking when somebody watches you isnt it, my hand was shaking like a leaf! But managed to do it.

Is it me or does anybody else love the smell of the scorched end of the drill? I leave it in my kitchen to keep it dry and the smell it gives off reminds me of a real fire in a nice old cottage, shame my house is 6 months old with radiators and plasterboard walls, will get the cottage one day

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I managed to do it about 5 times over the weekend now. Im sure my right arm looks like popeyes through all the rogorous drilling.

But its all a learning process and i even managed to demo it to a member of my family - blimey its nerve racking when somebody watches you isnt it, my hand was shaking like a leaf! But managed to do it.

Brilliant.

As a medic I have to warn you that "see one, do one, teach one" is often how doctors got their skills. Teaching others a new skill is an important part of learning as it really picks out the important parts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE