Other arms bergen - Military mart

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

This may just be a glitch in their new site but trolling through their packs I noticed an all arms bergen plus side pouches for £22.50,this seems really cheap!

How bad a bag is this? I know it's referred to as a handbag so that has alarm bells ringing.

Still for that price maybe worth a try and will still have side pouches for making into a day sack.

Buster

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
It all depends. Its a very "square" pack with a large zip opening instead of the lip like the standard issue bergen. Because of this it isn't very comfortable to wear for any real length of time. The straps are there for carrying it to & from vehicles, where the square design makes it easier to store away. Buy a propper short back or long back and you'll be better off. If its staying in a car then its an okay bit of kit.

Another quick point is that the pouches get in the way of the zip at either side making it a pain getting bulky items in & out.
Tonyuk

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi

This may just be a glitch in their new site but trolling through their packs I noticed an all arms bergen plus side pouches for £22.50,this seems really cheap!

How bad a bag is this? I know it's referred to as a handbag so that has alarm bells ringing.

Still for that price maybe worth a try and will still have side pouches for making into a day sack.

Buster

The term combat handbag relates to the fact that it has two grab handles at the top of the bag and was issued to non infantry. What the bag does however is provide robust carriage and storage without being overly bulky. Quality is good and they are relatively cheap. As said they are a PITA to access once the side pouches are fitted.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
So more of a car camping bag then,not for me.

Just thought the price was decent for a military pack and side pockets,maybe a pack to start out with? Or maybe it will put them off military gear for life ;)

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I use mine quite a lot. If you want to hike more than a few miles buy a Bergen/civvy rucksack, however, for me, I only walk a few miles so it is a solid bag with plenty of room for a couple of nights camping.
All the best

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

I had a try of one and they're not terrible, for a first cheapish pack I think it's decent enough,I think I agree with you I wouldn't want it on my back for loads of miles but a wee bimble would be fine.

I heard of a mod of a decent length of paracord attached to zips to make access easier when side pouches attached.
Buster

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
New Forest
They are actually very good, if limited on capacity. Tough as old boots and comfortable they do the job they were designed to do. The fact that it was seen as a downgrade from the infantry Bergen (with the status which goes with it). Think of it in terms of the Camelback Motherload or patrol sack and you see it's virtues.

I have seen them with lids from damaged infantry bergens added and molle straps with extra pouches. Not bad at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE