OS Maps printed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Just a heads-up about OS maps. The famous map shop in central London (Stamfords) has a special machine and terminal that prints out OL series maps (and the even more detailed ones) of the exact area that you want, it centres the map exactly where you want it. This is realy useful because the standard gridding of the OS maps can be realy inconvenient at times. The service is a little pricey, about £18 a go, but the print quality is decent (they have a large format digital printer) but if you've found a spot of woodlands that is off the beaten track it might be just what you need.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
You can also do the same thing on line with the OS's own service, GetaMap - I got one of my own local area as we're always on the edge of a standard map, so I had one done with us centred... :p

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
outdoorgirl said:
You can also do the same thing on line with the OS's own service, GetaMap - I got one of my own local area as we're always on the edge of a standard map, so I had one done with us centred... :p

Thats good, sure beats a trip up to the Old Smoke! (alas tis old news, again :( )

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
outdoorgirl said:
Is this a service that you have to pay for online ODG?
The ability to get detailed maps would help with other interests as well as Bushcrafting - often just of very specific areas.
What sort of scale are we talking about here?

TIA

Ogri the trog

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Ogri the trog said:
Is this a service that you have to pay for online ODG?
The ability to get detailed maps would help with other interests as well as Bushcrafting - often just of very specific areas.
What sort of scale are we talking about here?

TIA

Ogri the trog
The service to create your own 'site-centred' map, online, printed and posted to you, is called;

OS - Select. Costs from £15.99.

The service ODG mentioned is a free online service called;

OS - Get-a-map

It will give you a fairly small but quite useful extract from any spot you select (via postcode or manually for example) at up to Pathfinder detail (1:25,000 Scale Colour Raster). IT is scalable so you can zoom out too for bigger areas. but the same size window. You can save it and print it out or email it etc for personal use. There are restrictions for other use.

I find it good for checking out specific spots.

And don't miss the really fantastic free service by OS called;

OS - Old Maps which offers details from the (typically) 1891 era ordnance survey maps.

Of course things change particularly around urban areas, but in rural locations often they have not change much and you can download an print much bigger areas, up to A3 in size (click the Enlarged View button under the map). It's a great resource for historical investigation also.

You can even down load several and stitch them together in a graphics app :)

Take a look at a large version for Merthyr-mawr for example

OS - Old Maps - Englarged - Merthyr-mawr

The coverage is everywhere . Just use the main site to locate where you want and navigate around then enlarge and save or print.

The old maps often have loads of useful info on them too if you look closely.

Happy mapping :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
demographic said:
Theres an online version of Getamap that's quite handy also.

It goes down to the same level of detail as my Pathfinder map as far as I can figure.
Just like the one I posted earlier :D . Yep it is useful and you can even use a few in web sites. Read T&C on the OS for restrictions.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Moonraker said:
Just like the one I posted earlier :D . Yep it is useful and you can even use a few in web sites. Read T&C on the OS for restrictions.

Not the page you linked to.
I couldn't find the info on your page :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE